This is weird: False error message with Snipping Tool

Reaction score
Every time I reboot, I get a message that says "Snipping Tool is not working right now. Reboot and try again." Or words to that effect.

The thing is, all I have to do is click on the error message to close it and when I click on Snipping Tool (I keep it on my taskbar), it works just fine. So what I want to do is get rid of whatever causes the false error message. This started 2-3 months ago, IIRC.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
It looks like it has somehow got itself into the start sequence. Have a look in the task manager - start tab and see if you can identify it there.

Reaction score
It looks like it has somehow got itself into the start sequence. Have a look in the task manager - start tab and see if you can identify it there.

That seemed like a good idea but no joy. Here's the state of the startup:
upload_2018-3-13_3-15-31.png

Reaction score
Phew. That is a lot of startup items! (I have five)

But, I came across something.
Are you, by chance, using Office 2003. If so, this seems to be the culprit. The remedy is simple in that case. Uninstall and reinstall Office.

Reaction score
Are you using three Antivirus programs? I see AVG, Webroot and Windows Defender enabled.

Reaction score
Are you using three Antivirus programs? I see AVG, Webroot and Windows Defender enabled.

I have AVG Tune Up installed. I used to use their antiviral but uninstalled it due to too many popups trying to get me to upgrade. So now I use Webroot for my antiviral.

Windows Defender is not turned on. I use Malwarebytes Premium for anti-trojan work. But I see, since you pointed it out, that its notifications was turned on. Strange. I just turned that off via the Task Manager. I've attached a screen image.

Then I notice i have two apparently identical Webroot Update processes. What's up with that?

Attachments

• Windows Defender.JPG
    Windows Defender.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 815
Reaction score
Phew. That is a lot of startup items! (I have five)

But, I came across something.
Are you, by chance, using Office 2003. If so, this seems to be the culprit. The remedy is simple in that case. Uninstall and reinstall Office.

I am not. I use an office suite called LibreOffice instead.

Reaction score
The adobe gc invoker is, as far as I can ascertain, a virus. I would disable that, for a start, and hen attempt to uninstall it.
If you want too clean up some of those disabled items, they are located, mostly, in these palces
Startup programs for current user:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Startup programs ran by System account (for all users):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
32-bit Startup programs on 64-bit system ran by System account (for all users):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Ask a Question