A weird specific issue with right clicking something in task manager

rea

Reaction score
Hey so I don't have very much information on this stuff, I'm not the best with computer related business but I do know a little bit, and I honestly have no clue what's going on (since this isn't even my computer, it's my younger brother's and he asked me for help.) So I was wondering if anyone could help because even I'm stumped? If this is the wrong thread to post to I'm sorry please direct me to a better one, I wasn't too sure where to post this.

The issue that's being experienced is whenever something in the task manager is right clicked to show options, it keeps scrolling down through them all, kinda like if you held the down key while it was open. I unplugged the keyboard assuming that could be the issue and it didn't work, it kept going. I also discovered that the issue carries on to the settings panel and open start menu, basically everything that's not the internet, and it doesn't carry over to a few other apps he said, like Steam and Discord were not affected by it.
We also ran an anti-virus which didn't detect anything, but from what he described to me he downloaded things and I honestly don't know how trust worthy the anti-virus is (again, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to computer related stuff, so it could be a good one and I'm just being skeptical.)

So the one thing I can rule out is it being a stuck key or keyboard issue, since it kept happening once it was unplugged. And maybe if the anti-virus is right and not flimsy, it's probably not a virus, but like I said I'm skeptical of it. I really can't find much on the subject, be it because I'm not entirely sure what to look up word for word, or this hasn't happened to many people, I'm not sure which. But thanks to anyone who reads this and has any information at all, any recommendations or such, thanks again so much! :)

Reaction score
One thing to watch for, if using a mouse with the wheel, is that the wheel is not being pressed down, that will activate a scrolling just by slight movement of the mouse. Also something to watch for is the left/right scrolling of pages that can be caused by the wheel on those mice that support it [one I have is a Logitech M305 that does it when a page is not maximized].

Last edited:
Reaction score
First thing might be to go to Settings - Devices.
Select the mouse and make sure the scrolling options are at minimum.. If all seems in order, then hit the "Troubleshoot the mouse" option
.Do you have any Hot Keys selected, through Steam or the other you mention?

Ask a Question