SOLVED Cannot upgrade to 1903 nor 1909 !

Reaction score
Hi,

My laptop is running the 1809 version, and, when the 1903 version became available for my laptop via Windows Update, I had waited 3 months before trying to install it, and the installation had failed with “WU” ( at 72%), and it had failed with the Upgrade Assistant (56%), same thing with mounting the ISO (56%).
Kaspersky had been uninstalled with “Kavremover”, NordVPN using RevoUninstaller with advanced scanning.

Before launching the installation, I had cleaned the system with Windows’ cleanmgr, ran DISM and sfc /scannow, and there was no corruption whatsoever.

After a few unsuccessful attempts, I put it on pause until the next upgrade.

Last week, as soon as the 1909 version was available, it showed up in “WU”, so, I tried to upgrade via “WU”, and... the installation failed at 82% ! :mad:
I tried with the Assistant and by mounting the ISO, and it failed at 56% ! :mad:

And, it’s always the same error code for both 1903 ’n 1909 !

2019-11-18.png

Windows Update is working fine, there’s no issue at all with the cumulative updates. I ran the (useless) tool, and there was no issue detected.

I tried again, after deleting the machine keys inside the “MachineKeys” directory, and rebooting, and it failed at 82% (installation).

My laptop has 16 Go of ram, and a 950 Go SSD.

Does anyone have an idea ???

Thank you for your help, and sorry for the bad English !

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether the issue is a result of the fact, at the top of your image, the statement, Some settings are managed by your organization is present.

If you click the link below that statement it will likely tell you a Group Policy is set.

You may have set a policy for the Windows Update Service, but its also possible you never set one, and Windows is simply confused.

Something you can do to resolve this is the following:
  • Type gpedit.msc into the Cortana search field, then press Enter key to open the Group Policy Editor

• On the left pane of Group Policy Editor expand to the following location:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components

• Expand Windows Components then scroll down and left click on Windows Update folder.

You will see the contents of the Windows Update folder in the right pane. The default appearance, is that all items listed in the right pane will be set to Not Configured, unless you or someone else has modified one of these settings.

• Assuming they all appear as Not Configured then double-left-click on the item Do not include drivers with Windows Updates

Sample image of this item

1574109663003.png

Double-left-clicking this will open a new window.

In that windows check the Radio button next to Enable then click Apply, then click OK

Sample image of new window

1574109827103.png

• Note: Do not close the Group Policy Editor yet, as the previous step needs to be reversed shortly.

• Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together

• When the UAC dialog prompts you, click yes to allow an elevated command prompt console to open

• At the elevated command prompt type the following command:

Code:
    gpupdate /force

Press Enter key to execute the command, then minimize Command Prompt window & return to the Group Policy Editor

• Now, in the Group Policy Editor you want to double-left-click the Do not include drivers with Windows Updates again.

• In the new window that opens, check the radio button next to Not Configured and click Apply, then click OK

• Minimize the Group Policy Editor, and return to the Elevated Command Prompt console, then type gpupdate /force and hit Enter

• Now type exit and hit Enter to close the elevated command prompt.

• Return to the Group Policy Editor, and close this.

At this point, assuming no other Windows Update policies are configured, the message in your Windows Update pane regarding an Organization managing the settings, should no longer appear.

If that is the case, attempting to download and install the Windows update to 1903, or 1909 may succeed.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Thank you for your answer ! :)

I did as you told me and set to « not configured » the « Do not include drivers with Windows Updates », and even if the yellow notification was still there, I gave it another try this morning, and the installation failed at 26%, with this error code : 0x8024200D, and then, it tried again by itself and failed at 82% with this error code : 0xC1420121. :(

It’s the first time I’m getting the error code 0x8024200D, usually it’s always the second one ?!???

The only other parameter that is configured in gpedit ==> Windows Update, it’s to give me a notification and let me decide if I download and install the update (it’s set at 2).

I’ll wait for your answer before deleting the files for this upgrade.

Thanks ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
It’s the first time I’m getting the error code 0x8024200D, usually it’s always the second one ?!???

That particular error will appear when you are attempting to download an update, but the download either fails to complete ( thus some files are missing ), or it does complete, but some of the files in download are corrupted.

Given that, the three things I'd try are to:
  1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshoot tool

Click Start > Settings cog > Update & Security — then on left pane click Troubleshoot

Now on right pane select the Windows Update tool and run it.

2. I'd also rename the SoftwareDistribution directory ( where Windows Updates are stored ).

Type cmd into Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together.

When the User Account Control dialog shows, click Yes to allow the elevated command prompt to open.

At the elevated command prompt, type the following:

Code:
    stop wuauserv

Press Enter key, then after the Windows Update Service has stopped successfully, type the following:

Code:
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Press Enter key

3. At the same elevated command prompt, perform a System File Check, by typing the following:

Code:
    SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter key to execute. If it finds errors, run the same scan again up to two more times.

When done, type exit then press Enter to close the elevated command prompt.

Now restart computer, to allow Windows to create a new SoftwareDistribution directory. As Windows loads, it will also automatically restart the Windows Update Service too.

At this point, you can then attempt to download the update again, or alternately, download it from Microsoft's Catalog, and install it manually. The Catalog site is here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Reaction score
Hi,

I did all the steps, and I deleted the SoftwareDistribution.old.

The troubleshooter found no problem.

The sfc /scannow showed that there was no violation of integrity. I ran DISM again, and there’s no component store corruption.

I downloaded the update with WU, and it failed again at 82% ! :(

I even disabled all non-Microsoft services, rebooted and tried to upgrade.

If I get the upgrade from Microsoft’s Catalog, what should I type in the search box ???

Thank You :)

Reaction score
I will look fir the error code but in the meantime visit the site linked below and download and run the setupdiag utility. It uses the logs from the failed attempt so don't mess with those.

It will produce a listing you can copy and paste and a folder with some files that might be necessary.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

0x8024200DWU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOADThe update handler did not install the update because it needs to be downloaded again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried once again with a new download, and... it failed at 82% again ! :mad:

I ran the setupdiag, and here are the result.

I’ll wait to hear from you

Thank You

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    705.4 KB · Views: 217
  • SetupDiagResults.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the situation where the WimMount file is not at the correct location or a path has been changed to not show the correct location. You can see from the attachment what the registry should look like so you will need to change what you show and remove the reflect path option.

Some users reported the WimMount.sys file was not in the Windows\System32\drivers folder. If not, running a system file check should replace it. (Admin command prompt and type sfc /scannow)

I will start looking at your files but it may not be necessary. If you don't know how to change the path is the registry, ask.

Registry key where the entry is located

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount

Winmount.JPG

Reaction score
If it does turn out you have an incorrect path, there is a thread on the Macrium Reflect site. The last post includes a Registry key you could import if you can get it. You may have to be a member.

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass,

This key doesn’t exist in my Registry !!!

2019-11-20 11_02_40-Éditeur du Registre.png

I tried to download it from your link, but as you said, I’m not a member, so it is blocked !

It’s not the first time that I have to create a missing Key for this OS !!! :mad:

Is there anyway for me to get this key without having to open another account ?

Thank You ;)

Reaction score
You should not be having to create keys.. Here is the import file. I am not experienced with this process but it seems like you are. Hopefully the language situation won't be a problem.

Attachments

• WimM.reg
    1.7 KB · Views: 483
Reaction score
Thank You Saltgrass !

I’ll give it a try, and keep you informed ! :)

Thanks again ! :) ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you Saltgrass, the mising key was the issue !

I’m now running 1909 !!!!

2019-11-20 14.png

I can’t thank you enough ! :)

Regards ;) JAY B

Ask a Question