Installed Windows 10 Upgrade now cannot log in

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a similar issue as many others but have been unable to find a fix so I thought I would put my specific Windows 10 issue out for help.
I upgraded my properly working Windows 7 laptop with Windows 10. The install seemed to install correctly but when I typed my admin username and password I received the message that my account had been disabled and to contact the system administrator. Seeing as how I am the owner and administrator to this computer I didn't have an answer. I tried to go back to windows 7 but due to my username/password combo not working I was unable. I do get the option to use a different user to login but I don't have the password for that account anymore.
Then 3 days ago I was trying again to log in and am now stuck in the "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop. Once this screen goes away it asks me to choose a user to log in. Like I said I don't have the password to this account anymore (which means I forgot it because I always used the admin login when using the computer).
I then click do not remember password and the cycle starts over.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hal

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum. Do you have the installation media disk? If so you could boot with that and get to a repair screen. Often this problem will just go away after a few restarts. One thing that I always recommend is a hard restart. Disconnect the external power, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds and then reinstall the battery, plug in external power and press start. You might get lucky.
Trouble advises this: "Others report an inexplicable conversion of the default language settings resulting in improper keyboard input, so....
If you see any link on the sign-in screen that would suggest a language option, I suggest clicking it.
Other than that I recommend using the OSK (on screen keyboard) combined with the "Eye" icon on the right side of the password textbox to confirm that the password is being entered exactly and properly (case sensitive) and of course confirming that the "User Name" that is being displayed is correct."

Reaction score
Hi Dan99,

Thanks for your reply. I do not have a installation media disk. Software was preloaded on new laptop with no disks and the Windows 10 upgrade was done on line, so no disk either.
I tried the hard reboot before, but I tried this time with holding the power button as you suggested. Unfortunately, I am still having the same issue.
I do get the option to change keyboards, and I have clicked this but the option selected is correct (US).

Hal

Reaction score
I did but like I said, I don't know that user password. I only know the admin user name and password. I have forgotten the one for the one user I setup for myself.
I am assuming the eye is the icon that lets me actually see the letters instead of asterisks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you were formerly using the actual hidden administrator account, which evidently, as a result of the upgrade has again been hidden (disabled).
You will need the installation media to boot your computer.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From there you can get to the command prompt or simply hold the shift key and strike the F10 key at the language and keyboard screen which should accomplish the same thing, THEN.....
Use the steps in this article
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/
Which should allow you to enable the hidden administrator's account and gain access to your PC

Ask a Question