All programs installed after upgrade from windows 7 have installation date of 8/20/2016.

Reaction score
I found this strange today looking at my installed programs that after the windows 10 anniversary update on 8/20/2016, all of my programs installation dates were changed to 8/20/2016. Every program that I installed since upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8, then 8.1, and now windows 10 have an installed on date of 8/20/2016.

Any idea why this is? Doesn't make any sense to me. Programs I installed 2 years ago have 8/20/2016 as the installed on date since the latest update.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Romes,

Welcome to the forum.

When you updates Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update, you effectively were installing a brand new OS. This update modified a number of policies stored in the Windows Registry.

When you open the Control Panel > Programs and Features, the dates listed here for Install Date are taken from a couple of Registry keys that stores paths to setup/uninstall utilities for an installed application.

In the event a date is not stored Windows defaults to last date modified instead.

As policies were changed the last date modified in your case may indeed be the date you currently see displayed.

Another factor, is some programs self update themselves. When this happens their install date changes too.

If you open File Explorer and go to either C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86) you ought to see the various installed programs you have, and you may notice their original install dates are still there.

You could also open a Command Prompt and execute a command to list installed programs and the install date:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    wmic product get name,installdate

Press Enter key to execute. Note: This will take a minute or so to populate so don't worry if you just see a cursor flashing for a bit; that is normal.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question