Ethernet connection works fine in Windows 7 but not after upgrade to Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to think I'm reasonably competent with Windows devices but I am completely stumped by this one and so would welcome your help.

I've got a desktop PC that runs Windows 7 absolutely fine with a wired ethernet connection to my home network. However, whenever I try to upgrade it to Windows 10 I always get the same problem namely it loses all ability to connect to network.

The symptoms are as follows :

1. When you boot up the device you get the network symbol with a yellow exclamation mark next to it
  2. When I log on as a user the network ovum in the system tray had a red X next to it
  3. When I right mouse click and go to network and Internet settings it says 'Not connected'
  4. When I click on trouble shot it says there might be a problem with the driver....I've updated the driver to the latest version
  5. When I click on Ethernet it shows me the adapter and the status underneath is 'no internet'
  6. When I click on 'change adapter settings' it shows the adapter and that it's enabled

I then go to command prompt and try a few things

7. Ip configuration /all

I get the first 5 lines of the standard output (Host Name through to WINS Proxy Enabled) but nothing else, no recognition of any adapter

8.I then go through the normal resetting IP commands :nets winsock reset (seems to work ok), nets in ip reset (seems to work ok),ip configuration /release where I get the error : the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation

I did have McAfee installed and read that AV can cause issues so I've uninstall ed that but still get the issue.

So normally what happens at about this poin I run out of ideas and so recover Windows back to Windows 7 and....everything works fine!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It does sound like it could be a driver issue - are you using an Ethernet header on your motherboard or a separate card? Could you let us know the model please and I'll do some research.

If you could also post all of the ipconfig /all output here that may give us some clues as to where the problem is (obtaining IP, hardware problem, etc...).

Does anything interesting show on the network adaptor in Device Manager, or does it all appear to be working ok there?

Reaction score
Hi,

So I do have an Ethernet Header on the motherboard but I'm not using that, I'm using a separate card : TP-3468

The output of ipconfig /all when running Windows 7 is here (so we can compare vs Windows 10) :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-3B-EB-D1-6A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AnchorFree TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-B1-D3-2D-90

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-B5-C2-02-4E-DB
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:d9c2:ce9:b88:f2e3(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:a563:b880:5c45:6132(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d9c2:ce9:b88:f2e3%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 February 2019 19:08:22
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 February 2019 19:08:22
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 405845442
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-30-75-D8-E0-CB-4E-B7-56-9A
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-CB-4E-B7-56-9A

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

And the Windows 10 output is here :

Windows IP Configuration

When I look in Device Manager things look OK, the device is showing as working OK.

It is as if the Windows GUI is recognising the device but the IP stack isn't.

I've just had to revert the desktop back to Windows 7 so I can use it and am happy to upgrade again to help with diagnostics (I've done the up/down grade about 5 times now!).

I really appreciate your help

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the following means in the Win 7 section? I don't currently have a wired connection so I can't tell if mine shows the same thing but I don't think it does..

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Also, Win 10 has a bad habit of setting networks to public so you might check that..

Reaction score
Perhaps, go here https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TG-3468.html#Driver
Determine your hardware version number and download the driver from the manufacturer, just to see if it does anything to help the issue.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your link was very useful in the it highlighted that there are 3 different versions of the network card, I have got v2 and only v3 has got a Windows 10 driver and so my assumption was that it's a hardware problem. So I removed the card and bought a TP-Link wireless USB device, thinking that this would be fine with Windows 10.

I installed it whilst running Windows 7 to make sure it worked...which it did, connecting to our home wifi network fine. I then upgraded the machine to Windows 10 and I'm back to exactly the same problem. When looking in Device Manager everything looks fine but when you try ipconfig /all the only thing I get is :

ie no adapter information appears at all.

It's as if the upgrade process does something which means Windows can't see any of the adapters - but I really can't figure out why that would be :-(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I installed it whilst running Windows 7 to make sure it worked...which it did, connecting to our home wifi network fine. I then upgraded the machine to Windows 10 and I'm back to exactly the same problem.
I don't suppose that you have a spare hard disk laying around that you might use to perform a clean custom install of Windows 10 without "upgrading"?

Typically I would recommend attempting a clean boot to see if perhaps there are issues with installed software, especially any third party security software.

Although I've found that in some instances, not even a clean boot will prevent some very robust software from continuing to run, at least a piece of itself in the background.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your link was very useful in the it highlighted that there are 3 different versions of the network card, I have got v2 and only v3 has got a Windows 10 driver and so my assumption was that it's a hardware problem. So I removed the card and bought a TP-Link wireless USB device, thinking that this would be fine with Windows 10.

I installed it whilst running Windows 7 to make sure it worked...which it did, connecting to our home wifi network fine. I then upgraded the machine to Windows 10 and I'm back to exactly the same problem. When looking in Device Manager everything looks fine but when you try ipconfig /all the only thing I get is :

ie no adapter information appears at all.

It's as if the upgrade process does something which means Windows can't see any of the adapters - but I really can't figure out why that would be :-(

You probably need to update the driver for that to the windows 10 driver? When you upgraded windows 10 probably installed a native driver so you may need to install the manufacturer win, 10 drivers.
Another thing with windows 10 it that we no longer use SMB 1, You'll need to go to programs and features, and turn on or off windows programs find the SMB 1 and uncheck all. Next, you'll need to check Services.mcs open in Admin mode check that
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Are both running and set to start automatically this might get you to connecting

Ask a Question