Switching from ethernet connection to Wifi issue

Reaction score
Hi guys. Bit of a "first world problem" here i know but it is slightly irritating and really would appreciate any help

There is 2 computers and 2 virgin superhubs in the house i live in (not both mine) both ethernet connected. Occasionally i have to unplug my superhub and connect my desktop computer to the Wifi on the other hub which is in the next room.

My computer obviously "remembers" the password for the wifi and i used to be able to just unplug my hub and it would automatically connect to the wifi without me having to do anything.

Since switching to Windows 10, when i unplug my hub, it says that it is connected to the wifi however it says "limited" and no websites work, effectively not connected even though it says it is.

To solve it i have to leave my hub unplugged and restart my computer and it connects instantly and works. Whilst that isn't a huge problem, i sometimes could do without having to save what i'm doing just to restart the computer as i have never had to do this before.

The same problem also occurs in reserve if you get me. Disconnecting the Wifi and then plugging in the hub, it also says limited connection until i restart the comp. Virgin Media have been of no help whatsoever, to be honest I didn't expect them to be as it seems like a computer/windows problem.

Any help please on how to fix this? Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello kane and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried just performing a simple
ipconfig /release
followed by a
ipconfig /renew
to see if that will get your over the hump.

Reaction score
hi, thanks for replying, yes i have. i've googled this for many hours, that was one thing i saw suggested. i've updated all drivers etc and a few more things, nothing has worked. i'm on the verge of going back to windows 8.1, it was so much better in hindsight :/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How about .....
Right click the Start Button and choose run and type
ncpa.cpl.
hit enter
right click the problem wireless card and choose disable
give it a 10 count
right click it again and choose enable
Does that work?

Additionally when you have switch unsuccessfully do an
ipconfig /all
hit enter
Make note of the IP addressing schema.
IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server addresses
compare those notes to the same
ipconfig /all
you get when you are able to successfully connect after a switch.

Ask a Question