no ethernet connection...wifi works

Reaction score
I have a problem with my ethernet connection and i cant connect...sometimes it works and then it suddenly stops working and says dns failed or something like that...when i restart the pc or the router it gives me a yellow triangle with exclamation mark...wifi works fine...at the router website it says that the ip its sending it 192.168 but my pc gets a 169.254...when i troubleshot it says one or more protocols missing but it has worked before so i dont think there is a [roblem there...ive tried ip config /release ipconfig /renew...also netsh int ip reset c:\resetLog.txt...ive tried reseting router...different ethernet ports...and because i try all of them some times they work some times they dont...i dont know what to do please HELP...i have an asus f554l laptop with a realtek pcie gbe familly controller and a router zte zxv10 h108l

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable with another one? FWIW that 169.254... is an address that gets used when Winows has no answer from the router or a failed connection somehow,

The driver for the Realtek GBE that I have is 10.3.723.2015 dated August 2015 Windows says that is uptodate.

Reaction score
the ethernet cable its new and it has worked before...i mean i have this problem then it starts working and then happens again...could that be the cables fault u say?is it possible to be routers problem?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
says dns failed or something like that
That might be indicative of your router not doing a very good job of DNS forwarding, my suggestion would be to statically assign the DNS server address of your ISP directly to the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your adapter.
OR
In a pinch you could use Google's public DNS servers
8.8.8.8 preferred
8.8.4.4 alternate
https://developers.google.com/speed...our_network_settings_to_use_google_public_dns

As Tim has already mentioned if you are getting a 169.254 address then your router is not providing proper DHCP addressing to your computer and it is using an APIPA address which is worthless for anything outside a local network.

You may want to try statically assigning an IP addressing schema yourself to the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your network adapter to see if that might help
193.168.1.221 IP Addess
255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask
192.168.1.1 Gateway
8.8.8.8 Primary DNS
8.8.4.4 Secondary DNS
Based on default settings according to https://www.wind.gr/files/1/eksoplismostabs/exoplismos2ZXV10-H108L-User-Manual.pdf

Additionally before trying any of the above you might just disable (uncheck) IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter and reboot and see if that helps. Some routers don't seem to do well with IPv6. Might be worth a try.

Reaction score
I just updated to the same Realtek driver and all is working poperly here so I guess that driver is NOT the problem.

FWIW I use Google DNS as primary and one of my ISP's DNS as secondary and the same system for IPV6

Reaction score
well i tried both options that trouble suggested and i didnt find a solution...anyways thank you very much for your time,you were very helpful...i will buy a new router and i will let u know as soon as i fix it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there might be a firmware upgrade for that router?

Reaction score
well i checked the website and it says there is an update but they reccomend not upgrading it through wifi connection...currently its the only connection i have...given that the ethernet isnt working as said before

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So you cannot open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1
without the wireless connection, just the Ethernet connection?

Reaction score
oh i found out that i could and i did it but nothing really changed..could this be a bug on windows 10...im sry if im such a 'noob' so pls bear with me

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
could this be a bug on windows 10
Nope, I don't think so.
There is very little difference in how the network stack handles a wireless adapter versus a wired adapter and since your wireless connection seems to work flawlessly then I wouldn't suspect Windows to be the problem.
I would expect either a driver issue or a third party security suite.
What computer is this exactly?
What antivirus software do you have installed?

Ask a Question