Sharing Ethernet and WiFi Connections On One Computer

Reaction score
Hi folks.

My desktop is connected to my router by Ethernet. However, the printer I use is in my wife's office on another floor. It is a wireless Epson Artisan 730. I have added a Dlink DWA-171 wireless usb adapter to my desktop to print wirelessly to the Epson.

However, every time I want to print, I have to disable my Ethernet connection so the WiFi connection will see the printer. Then I'm done printing and I re-enable the Ethernet (faster, more stable).

Is there a way I can get Win10 to just send my print jobs to the wireless connection automatically without having to manually shut off the Ethernet?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course. My desktop is connected to my wifi router via ethernet My printer is wifi, an HP as it happens. The printer, being wifi has an IP address on my network. My desktop just connects ethernet to the router and wifi onward to the printer, Don't need a separate wifi device on the desktop.

I am not familiar with the Epson but if it is a wifi capable printer the basic setup disk that comes with it should let you connect as I do and the printer will be visible on your network. For HP the setup disk does all this for you.

Or if you set up the printer wifi via WPS the printer should be there and you should even be able to go to "add a new printer" and select network printer and Windows should find it for you. The printer should 'broadcast' its existence.

If the printer has a panel on which you can set up its wifi manually I recommend that you do so and give it a static IP address... but it is not necessary.

Reaction score
Hi folks.

My desktop is connected to my router by Ethernet. However, the printer I use is in my wife's office on another floor. It is a wireless Epson Artisan 730. I have added a Dlink DWA-171 wireless usb adapter to my desktop to print wirelessly to the Epson.

However, every time I want to print, I have to disable my Ethernet connection so the WiFi connection will see the printer. Then I'm done printing and I re-enable the Ethernet (faster, more stable).

Is there a way I can get Win10 to just send my print jobs to the wireless connection automatically without having to manual shut off the Ethernet?

Of course. My desktop is connected to my wifi router via ethernet My printer is wifi, an HP as it happens. The printer, being wifi has an IP address on my network. My desktop just connects ethernet to the router and wifi onward to the printer, Don't need a separate wifi device on the desktop.

I am not familiar with the Epson but if it is a wifi capable printer the basic setup disk that comes with it should let you connect as I do and the printer will be visible on your network. For HP the setup disk does all this for you.

Or if you set up the printer wifi via WPS the printer should be there and you should even be able to go to "add a new printer" and select network printer and Windows should find it for you. The printer should 'broadcast' its existence.

If the printer has a panel on which you can set up its wifi manually I recommend that you do so and give it a static IP address... but it is not necessary.

Ask a Question