Applications slow down when resource sharing, but then don't speed up again...

Reaction score
Hello

I've been running several types of resource hungry video conversion software in Windows 10.

If I boot the PC and start a conversion straight away the software runs quickly and utilises 90-95% of the cpu.

If I run a second program at the same time, maybe a web browser, the conversion software drops to about 50% cpu, which is what you might expect as it shares resources.

However if I then close all other programs, the conversion software remains at around 50% and the other cpu 50% is idle.

It does not recover and start using the full potential of the PC now that the extra resource have become free.

Is this perhaps a bug or is there a windows setting that I need to adjust?

Thanks for your advice :)

Reaction score
Hello

I've been running several types of resource hungry video conversion software in Windows 10.

If I boot the PC and start a conversion straight away the software runs quickly and utilises 90-95% of the cpu.

If I run a second program at the same time, maybe a web browser, the conversion software drops to about 50% cpu, which is what you might expect as it shares resources.

However if I then close all other programs, the conversion software remains at around 50% and the other cpu 50% is idle.

It does not recover and start using the full potential of the PC now that the extra resource have become free.

Is this perhaps a bug or is there a windows setting that I need to adjust?

Thanks for your advice :)
Putting a lot of pressure on the cpu makes it very hot so yes it letting you know it has to cool down for a bit before getting back to normal running, apart from the video work you are doing the cpu has other stuff it has to deal with for your pc to run properly, make sure your pc is free from dust and fluff and it is getting a good intake of air. Cheers

Ask a Question