32-bit applications in Windows 10 64-bit

Reaction score
I have read that 32 bit programs can be made to run in Windows 10 64 bit by right clicking on the program's executable and choosing Run in Compatibility Mode. My question is this: There is no executable if the program is not installed and Windows 10 will not permit a 32 bit program to install. So how does compatibility mode work? Seems a Catch 22 to me. Let me add that I have read on this subject on this site already...https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Reaction score
A 32 bit program works just fine in Windows 10 64 bit. It is 16 bit that will not run at all, in a 64 bit version of Windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64
In computing on Microsoft platforms, WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system capable of running 32-bit applications that is included in all 64-bit versions of Windows—including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, as well as 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. In Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core, it is an optional component, but not in Nano Server. WoW64 aims to take care of many of the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself.
It is applications designed to run in older Windows that you need compatibility modes. If you have an application that will not install or run, it is either a 16 bit application or you need to run it "As an Administrator".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Installing and running a program are two different things.
It's possible although rare that you may have to right click
Setup.exe in the installer to configure compatibility properties, but most will install normally without any extra attention.
Getting them to run, may require you to adjust the compatibility settings.
Some older card games and scrabble have given me some grief.

Reaction score
All comments appreciated. So does this mean the "right click on the executable" advice is for the install executable or for the boot executable? Or both? BTW, I am asking for the sake of one app primarily, Paint Shop Pro 4.12. I have used this app for so long (I can make it sit up and beg I know it so well) I just don't want to give it up. I have heard that others have used it in Windows 10 and I need to do so for my church where I am the computer/sound guy. What do you think? Oh, and the church PC is running Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition upgraded from Windows 7. And I have PSP 4.12 running on Windows 7 32 bit at home and several online references to the app call it a 32 bit program.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have picked up a posting online that says this app will run in Windows 10 64 bit if the (already unarchived on a CD or thmb drive) run executable is clicked. Hmm. Getting there, maybe.

Reaction score
Well, no good. Can't even install the app on a thumb drive and use the boot executabe.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure how much more I can offer in the way of help, but.....
First of all, that would appear to be a very old version of the program and may cause you some issues if and when you manage to get it installed and running.
My wife still stares daggers at me because her old Scrabble Complete will not run more than about 10 minutes before crashing on Windows 10.
I notice that they have what they are calling a half price sale on the Full 2018 version of the product for $39.99
Personally, I would uncheck and forego the 2 year download insurance if you decide to purchase.
You can just save the download on your computer or on some external drive if you would need to install again later.
Make sure you also save / print any email or other communication which contains a product key associated with the product.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/pro...term=paintshop pro&utm_content=PSP|PT|Main|0^

I have no personal experience with the 4.12 version of the product and do not know how you are trying to install it or what resource you are using to install it from (CD, DVD, ISO, Floppies, etc.).
I do know that it will likely need to be completely installed and registered with the windows registry inorder for it to run properly even in comaptibility mode.

So far, from what I can tell, you are having trouble installing the program.
So that is the first hill you will have to climb.
What media are you using as install resource and if you browse that media do you see something like a "Setup.exe" file?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Advice is appreciated. The setup.exe file. CD disk. Right click, the dialogue box doesn't even mention compatibility. Double-click and immediately a blue rectangle appears saying this program will not run on your computer. Nearly verbatim. No way to progress. However, if I download the six or seven dlls, txt files and the install executable to a folder, and then right click on the executable in this new folder, I get twice as many options in the dialogue box including install as admin and something referencing compatibility mode. I tried both, Admin goes one step further and then throws up the blue rectangle. Compatibility choice simply hangs. Dead. The only option is to click the X to close the window. I used the same disk to install this app on a laptop and a desktop Win 7 32 bit desktop PC just a couple weeks ago. Wonder if I should try copying over the handful of resulting install files in the apps folder over to the Win 10 64 bit machine and see if the boot exe will work?

Reaction score
I just might have to do the $39 thing. I'll answer that last question tomorrow when I am in front of the computer again. Thank you for hanging in there with me on this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click, the dialogue box doesn't even mention compatibility
IF you right click setup.exe on the CD and choose "Properties" do you then see a "Compatibility" tab in that properties window....
Where you can check "Run as administrator" and choose from the drop down a version of Windows earlier, like Windows 7 or even earlier???

Reaction score
Have you considered trying these downloads? There could be something different about the download, that is not programmed in your CD. They could be slightly updated for newer operating systems. I personally don't know, but it is worth a try.
After looking up a few details I can say without question that 4.12 is 32 bit. Version 4.0 was the first 32 bit only release. Meaning there was no support for 16 bit operating systems after 4.0.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PaintShop_Pro_releases

Reaction score
I used Paint Shop Pro 4.2 for a long time.
Fastone Image Viewer is just as good & is free.

Reaction score
Thanks Comp Cmndo. I may look into that. An update: I haven't been ignoring you guys nor am I ungrateful for all the help. Tomorrow I will try the copy psp.exe trick and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Well, the copy from the other computer's folder all the files and pasting into a folder on the second computer method worked (the very thing we were taught in the very beginning never to do). I am not sure I had to tell it to run in compatibility mode, but I did and and it works great. Thank you to all!

Ask a Question