Best total security software for Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using a Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC for a while now, and it came with Windows 10 and McAfee Antivirus preinstalled (McAfee with 15-month subscription). But, I notice on taskbar that it shows the product as McAfee Antivirus which implies that it is not a comprehensive security software like, say BitDefender / Kaspersky Total Security, Norton Security Premium, etc. Read some posts on the web which (amazingly !) state that one should run Win'10 PCs with just the in-built Windows Defender. I remember my earlier PC even with licensed Norton Security Std somehow managed to get infected with some malware. so feel that just having Windows Defender running is just not on.

Would appreciate guidance / suggestions on whether I should replace the McAfee s/w from my PC with a more robust security s/w like the ones I mentioned above. I checked on few popular websites like PCWorld, PCMag, etc. which all recommend Norton / BitDefender / Kaspersky products, perhaps based on their own deals with them.

Reaction score
Nothing's perfect and "the best" is subjective. As far as free solutions, Bitdefender, Avast, and AVG work well (I've used them all). I've had issue with Bitdefender and certain websites taking a very long time to load, but as an AV, it's probably the best as far as detection rates. I don't recommend Kaspersky. It made changes to my incoming email in Outlook that I wasn't happy with. I wouldn't put Windows Defender on the level of those. But if you practice safe searching and are careful what, and from where you download files, then Defender is ok. As far as paid products, I'm using AVG and it works fine for me, and doesn't affect my PC's speed.

Reaction score
BUT. I am careful. Any suspicious email I view the full headers before opening. I take the browsers advice about non-secure web sites. I avoid links in websites that go off to advertising sites and there are many of those. I use Gmail which has reasonably good spam checking. I use Paypal for online purchases.

Reaction score
Windows Defender and Malwarebytes for me.

Thanks Tim. But, many posts / threads here and elsewhere recommend having just the Windows Defender with Malwarebytes....in this day n age of malware and ransomware. Not sure WD is good enough for these. Anyway, I do surf only 'safe' sites but still want to ensure my internet access remains safe, as I do all my online banking / shopping / payments on this PC. I'm not keen on freeware, so would like to invest in an robust security product, so found BitDefender & Kaspersky Total Security rated highly, with the rest falling behind.

Would help if folks here can advise among my three options (based on product quality & support available in my region) - BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Norton Security.

Reaction score
BUT. I am careful. Any suspicious email I view the full headers before opening. I take the browsers advice about non-secure web sites. I avoid links in websites that go off to advertising sites and there are many of those. I use Gmail which has reasonably good spam checking. I use Paypal for online purchases.

Yes, I too use GMail in my web browser and haven't configured it on my MS-Outlook client. It does have the best spam filter, and also good at deleting / removing suspicious attachments. Best part, no executables get thru Gmail. I also stick to mainly FF & Chrome, and use IE11 only because some Bank sites work well only with IE.

Reaction score
Like you I do all my banking and financial stuff on my PC. The last time I had to use IE was, before Edge, to some Microsoft sites!

I think a lot of PC users, including some of us older guys on this forum had bad experiences of early Norton and McAfee in corporate environments.. I certainly had to put up with those.

Reaction score
@Tim Locke - Yes, you are right. I too have learned from my experiences over the decades and many of the products I've used aren't even around now, while some like Norton and McAfee seem to have matured.
I bank with Govt-run Banks often, which are the slowest to adopt new tech, so I end up using IE with their sites. These sites are also notorious for not renewing their security certificates (Verisign etc) so at times my previous s/w by Norton used to flag some of these 'secure' sites as unsafe.
In this age of malware and ransomware, I feel relying merely on Windows Defender for protection is unwise. Hence, am scouting for a Internet / Total Security product for my Win'10 Home (64-bit) which has McAfee Antivirus preinstalled (not a comprehensive suite). Better be safe than sorry !

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,

Thank you for your inputs and suggestion. Will consider it, among others from this thread, in due course (out of town now).

Thank you all !

Reaction score
I have always used Avast with Windows 10 (and previous versions of Windows). It is a great Virus checker (and the Free version is all you really need).
Under Windows 10 though, I have found that the Avast email shield (for inward email) seems to cause a few problems with other processes (long delays etc.). If that shield is turned off (and all the other shields are left on) things run very smoothly. I have tried to turn on the Windows Defender "occasional scan" but it keeps turning itself off immediately when I attempt to change the setting (for some unknown reason).
I have always been very anti-Norton's since every machine I have ever encountered with that Virus checker installed seems to have problems caused by that package (and it is almost impossible to uninstall!)

Reaction score
I have tried them all and about 5 years ago it seemed Norton was far better than any others. I still use Norton Security Deluxe on 5 devices. MacAfee used too many computer resources slowing the computer down. Kaspersky? Well you hear of them in the news all the time. They seemed slow also and not as user friendly as Norton.

Reaction score
Norton for me. I have it on my PC, wife's laptop, phones and daughter's laptop. Never had a problem. I occasionally run Malwarebytes but it rarely finds anything. Kaspersky phishes for Russia, so I would never use it. MacAfee is inferior. Also, Norton usually comes out on top in Consumer Reports ratings.

Reaction score
bottom line
u want something that is easy on the system and u.
Personally, I think the best paid software is VIPRE, BITDEFENDER or KASPERNSKI.
That said, I have been using Defender for the past 2 years and keep my brain attached to my index finger and have had no problems. I NEVER recommend McAfee or Norton (resource intensive and not all that good).
I found Avast and AVG to be too intrusive and I don't like their interface, YMMV. Both appear to have decent ratings for free versions.
MBAM is good for some types of malware and not others. So using the free version occasionally is a good policy. CCleaner is also one I DO NOT recommend. It has recently had a virus built into it - I think it is clean now. But since it has a registry cleaner in it that people are temped to use, I say stay away. It will get u into trouble. Personal experience with clients.
I recommend using TFC from Bleeping Computer to clean the temp folders - lots of viruses reside here.
I also recommend Macrium Reflect free to backup/image your system -
And don't forget to run CHKDSK occasionally.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using a Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC for a while now, and it came with Windows 10 and McAfee Antivirus preinstalled (McAfee with 15-month subscription). But, I notice on taskbar that it shows the product as McAfee Antivirus which implies that it is not a comprehensive security software like, say BitDefender / Kaspersky Total Security, Norton Security Premium, etc. Read some posts on the web which (amazingly !) state that one should run Win'10 PCs with just the in-built Windows Defender. I remember my earlier PC even with licensed Norton Security Std somehow managed to get infected with some malware. so feel that just having Windows Defender running is just not on.

Would appreciate guidance / suggestions on whether I should replace the McAfee s/w from my PC with a more robust security s/w like the ones I mentioned above. I checked on few popular websites like PCWorld, PCMag, etc. which all recommend Norton / BitDefender / Kaspersky products, perhaps based on their own deals with them.
I have had very good results with the Windows Defender program. Absolutely no invasion of any kind. Keep in mind to have only one anti-virus program running (installed) and not 2 or 3, as they will fight each other and cause problems. I am using Windows 10 Pro version. My laptop goes with me where ever I go. It is now 4 years old.

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally, I use Webroot Secure Anywhere. Run it on 5 different machines and phones. It doesn’t clog up your system with gigs of software. Not expensive.

Bif

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the best antivirus is safe browsing habits..
e613d97f2b4b339b3a57de2f098a5bfa.jpg

Ask a Question