Best total security software for Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Reaction score
Norton Security is NOT resource intensive. It does scans in background when the CPU is not otherwise in use. It uses about 30 MB of memory. It has never slowed down my PC. Kaspersky has been shown to be a phishing agent for the Russians who wrote it. I would not recommend it.

Reaction score
I have used McAfee and Norton in the past. McAfee slows the system down too much. Norton can drive you nuts with the pop ups, and it’s so-so with Edge.
I finally decided to go with Defender.
After about 18 mos, no problems at all, but I am hypervigilant with my browsing.
Someone mentioned above the issue with banks’ certificates, and I’ve had to revert to Explorer for those sites.
Definitely follow Bif’s cautionary advice.

Reaction score
I've used NIS (or Norton products - Symantec) since the early 90's. All the woes that is supposed to come from this product hasn't for me. I wish for once I could enjoy some of the so called snags with it but for some weird and wonderful reason, I cannot. I'm 700 plus days ahead with the subscription and have no intention of switching.

Reaction score
The issues with Norton's is, and has been for years, that it resource heavy and bloated. And many free Anti Virus programs have much better detection rates. Another issue in the past is it didn't like to completely uninstall itself leaving some with error and missing registry entries.

Reaction score
Have been using ESET smart security for many,many years. Never had a problem. What I like the most about ESET is that I can decide wich programs can enter or leave my through the firewall. I don't let the security progtam decide for me.

Reaction score
Except for Kaspersky I think I have tried them all. The problem is, no matter which one you use, over time they become so bloated with features that really nobody uses (at least not me) and resource heavy that even older hardware get bogged down to a crawl. A recent incident with AVAST where it blocked my email connections (dunno why) left me without my used to be favorite AV software. I still use it though on my Windows 7 machines, however, on my Windows 10 machine I solely rely on Windows defender and so far never had an issue with it.
That said, I have to mention that my Windows 10 machines are all over 10 years old (12+ and 11+ years). How long I still can use Windows 10 is a different story...

LRK

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using a Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC for a while now, and it came with Windows 10 and McAfee Antivirus preinstalled (McAfee with 15-month subscription). But, I notice on taskbar that it shows the product as McAfee Antivirus which implies that it is not a comprehensive security software like, say BitDefender / Kaspersky Total Security, Norton Security Premium, etc. Read some posts on the web which (amazingly !) state that one should run Win'10 PCs with just the in-built Windows Defender. I remember my earlier PC even with licensed Norton Security Std somehow managed to get infected with some malware. so feel that just having Windows Defender running is just not on.

Would appreciate guidance / suggestions on whether I should replace the McAfee s/w from my PC with a more robust security s/w like the ones I mentioned above. I checked on few popular websites like PCWorld, PCMag, etc. which all recommend Norton / BitDefender / Kaspersky products, perhaps based on their own deals with them.

LRK

Reaction score
A friend who is an IT professional running networks for large companies told me that in his experience, Windows Defender is on a par with the best third-party products. He uses nothing else. I decided to follow his advice, after years of using a paid-for AVG subscription (mostly satisfactory). Four years later, both my wife and I have run nothing but Windows Defender on our PCs. Never a single virus infection, and only two adware/malware infections that were easily eliminated by the free version of Malwarebytes. So why pay for a third-party when Microsoft's own product works so well for free?

Reaction score
The issues with Norton's is, and has been for years, that it resource heavy and bloated. And many free Anti Virus programs have much better detection rates. Another issue in the past is it didn't like to completely uninstall itself leaving some with error and missing registry entries.

Interesting. As to the bloating, not true! If the so called resource requirements are heavy as you mention, it sure isn't affecting any system I'm using.
I've uninstalled it several times to supposedly rid of a problem (which of course wasn't caused by Norton) and never had any missing registry entries etc.
There is little doubt in my mind, Norton is like the gas filters in vehicles years ago. When a mechanic couldn't find a problem, the blame always got thrown over to the gas filter, which of course again was not true.

Reaction score
I am currently running the most up to date W10 version/build w/WD. And I will say that I have not had any issues. I follow Bif's thought process( previous post). Since 1996 I have used the paid version of McAfee, the paid and unpaid version of Avast, Norton, AVG. And all these programs are not only resource hogs but only partially effective against the current threats. I have used CCleaner but found that it altered my registry programs. My personal sense or opinion is that there is not a single anti virus/ malware program paid or unpaid that is totally effective. MS has a vested interest in providing a more secure platform whereas, Avast, McAfee etc only provide an illusion that one is safe when opening 'risky' web sites or spam etc. Good Luck.

Reaction score
I seem to remember having enjoyed CCleaner doing something awry to my Registry at one point. I've not used it since. Anyway, an interesting reply Cyclist.

Reaction score
Norton Security is NOT resource intensive. It does scans in background when the CPU is not otherwise in use. It uses about 30 MB of memory. It has never slowed down my PC. Kaspersky has been shown to be a phishing agent for the Russians who wrote it. I would not recommend it.
I use Kaspersky Total Security and have used their products for many years with no problem. One little hitch I have had is with Kaspersky Password Manager which comes with Total Security. I put the password extension onto Edge. I run a website for a local skittles league, when I updated some pages I found it had added some extras to these pages.I had to rewrite the pages, I removed the extension from Edge and all seems fine.

Reaction score
I use McAfee All Access for my protection. It checks for everything. Over the last year it has stopped over 1000 attempts at IP's trying to get into my computer. It will stop me from accessing malicious websites. It's firewall works pretty good along with scanning downloads. It takes me 24 hrs. to run a deep scan but it's worth it.

Bif

Reaction score
It takes me 24 hrs. to run a deep scan
Good Lord! 24 hours to run a scan?..what size is your HDD?..my ISP offers this same suite for free, I tried it just for the hellofit but found that it impeded performance as well as shooting constant warnings that posed no true intrusion or security threat...uninstalled and happy camper again.

Reaction score
I seem to remember having enjoyed CCleaner doing something awry to my Registry at one point. I've not used it since. Anyway, an interesting reply Cyclist.
Good Morning Lawrence Stewart Talbot,
Yes, CCleaner at least in my case, caused havoc w/ my registry in both of my W10 systems and once I uninstalled this program these issues disappeared. This paid vs unpaid Anti -virus/malware; WD vs all the rest of AVM is clearly a personal choice. In my case, after spending many $$$ on Avast, McAfee, Norton just to name a few I would still see false/positive alerts. Perhaps instead of using the word "illusion" my personal sense is that these AVM programs provide a false sense of security when in these days users need to be more careful especially w/ banking, online purchase etc. Take care and Best wishes. I love your werewolf avatar reminds me of the Werewolf of London(circa1935)

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with CCleaner, but I would not advise using the registry cleaner, or any registry cleaner. That's just asking for trouble. Windows 10 handles most of the functions of CCleaner now though (with the exception of the drive wiper and the duplicate file finder), so it's really unnecessary.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using a Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC for a while now, and it came with Windows 10 and McAfee Antivirus preinstalled (McAfee with 15-month subscription). But, I notice on taskbar that it shows the product as McAfee Antivirus which implies that it is not a comprehensive security software like, say BitDefender / Kaspersky Total Security, Norton Security Premium, etc. Read some posts on the web which (amazingly !) state that one should run Win'10 PCs with just the in-built Windows Defender. I remember my earlier PC even with licensed Norton Security Std somehow managed to get infected with some malware. so feel that just having Windows Defender running is just not on.

Would appreciate guidance / suggestions on whether I should replace the McAfee s/w from my PC with a more robust security s/w like the ones I mentioned above. I checked on few popular websites like PCWorld, PCMag, etc. which all recommend Norton / BitDefender / Kaspersky products, perhaps based on their own deals with them.

Reaction score
Hi,

We have paid annual subscriptions to Symantec Endpoint through our local repair shop. It is a managed solution and better than all others except for the Russian-made Kaspersky, which is equal to Endpoint in capability.

T_J

Reaction score
Used Norton products from 2000 to 2012; and McAfee products from 2012 to now. Last year had LiveSafe, currently have Total Protection. I buy a 5 or 10 device McAfee key code at Amazon every year for about $20. I don't notice any slow down of my 2012 i3 6GB RAM Dell Windows 10 Home 1809 desktop.

Ask a Question