What Windows 10 Email is best

Reaction score
I have never used Microsoft email but wish to know if I am missing something. I currently use Gmail and Yahoo Mail mainly because I like the way they look but also because I like the news and weather links associated with them (Yahoo Mail) below is a screen shot of them;

Yahoo Mail.PNG
Gmail.PNG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hotmail /Outlook.com has improved considerably in the past few years - I've got a minimally used account that I have as a backup and the web interface works really well. I prefer Google Mail in many respects, as they have good Calendar/Contacts/Todo integration which works well with my Android phone.

I've not used Yahoo for years, but I like the look of the new interface screenshot!

Reaction score
If you have a handy Exchange server running in your basement then Outlook 2016. OK forget that one!

Personally I just don't like having to go to get my mail with a web browser, I like it on m y PC so that I may keep the mail and sent items for years if I wish.

I use Thunderbird. Works with my ISP's mail and Gmail, has a calendar. I don't integrate it with my phone as my phone and Ipad can talk to both of those email systems natively AND there are Thunderbird clients for MAC and for Linux and it is free.

Reaction score
Windows Live Mail. Used it for some years, with total satisfaction. Collects my ISP and Outlook mail. Calendar Contacts etc.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Outlook 2013. I like having a local mail client, but.....
I think, if you like what you're using and it does what you need and want it to do, then any email client / service is good.
Nothing wrong with web / cloud based services, if that's what you like, stick with it.

Reaction score
I use Outlook. I have an account (e-mail address removed) which is synchronised with:
Outlook on Windows 10 on my desktop machine (Outlook 2013)
Outlook on Windows 10 on my laptop (Outlook 2016)
Outlook for Android on a pad.
I can also log in on any other computer to (e-mail address removed)

I have to do nothing to keep them synch'd, it just happens... if I delete an email on one, it disappears from the others. In other words, I see the same wherever I connect. This includes email, calendar, contacts.

It doesn't have connections to weather or other irrelevant applications, it is clearly designed to be as attractive to business as to personal users.

I believe the user interface to have all developed from MS Outlook (as was) and the infrastructure developed from Hotmail.

I tried GMail, but had too many problems of not receiving important mail due to GMail handling any multi-address emails as spam and refusing to even let me decide for myself. At least Outlook puts anything it thinks is suspicious into Junk folder. Any phishing I have received has invariably ended in Junk and the links disabled. From time to time I get a genuine email put into Junk, but that is for me to decide on whether to actually delete, not Outlook. GMail did not give that option. I continue to get emails I send refused by GMail to some of my circulation list, so it hasn't got any better.

Reaction score
If you have a handy Exchange server running in your basement then Outlook 2016. OK forget that one!

Personally I just don't like having to go to get my mail with a web browser, I like it on m y PC so that I may keep the mail and sent items for years if I wish.

I use Thunderbird. Works with my ISP's mail and Gmail, has a calendar. I don't integrate it with my phone as my phone and Ipad can talk to both of those email systems natively AND there are Thunderbird clients for MAC and for Linux and it is free.

Fair comment. Of course, using a browser or not, your Email is fetched from somewhere on the web. But, I also prefer a desktop Email "Fetcher". WLM is still my choice, but my internet provider has a very function limited, but efficient one also.

Reaction score
That last comment made me realise that I had not made one point clear... I fire up Outlook on whatever machine I am using and the Outlook client on that machine goes off transparently and gets the mail. Just as it used to from my personal mail server, all mail from which is now redirected to my outlook.com email account.
It took a little figuring to set up the W10 clients properly, but the Android was simple. The 'how-to' is all available via Google. I switched from a local Outlook-alone client to this setup when I saw it on someone else's machine.

Reaction score
I also use the full Outlook client (2016 now) for all my email retrievals. I have 3 main Windows PC's and about 10 accounts. Outlook 2016 handles it all - Exchange, Office 365, IMAP, Gmail - the lot.

It just works.

Alan

Reaction score
I do actually have a niggling problem with Outlook.

The email address by which people know me is server independent, e.g. tom.jones@MyOwnDomain and all the mail using that address is forwarded directly to (e-mail address removed)

However, when I send stuff to people from my desktop Outlook client, the address that they see is something like
(e-mail address removed) on behalf of Tom Jones <tom.jones@MyOwnDomain>

If I am tracking an email, then the user gets asked to acknowledge --- and either of two things seem to happen, either I do not actually get the acknowledgement, or the user is asked to acknowledge twice.

It is an *expletive deleted* nuisance !! But I can live with it for the otherwise elegant mail handling and synching across all my devices.

Reaction score
Maybe you need a mail server at MyOwnDomain. Does whoever hosts MyOwnDomain offer mail hosting?

Reaction score
I can do mail hosting on my server (MyOwnDomain) and that is what I used to do. However, the ability to have all my (5) various mail clients synchronised and no tidying up of individual machines is the great virtue of having Outlook Online being the 'core' mail account. If I happen to change to, say, a faster laptop, it is important that I just inherit everything without having to do a lot of faffing around, I just install an Outlook client and hey-presto everything is back.

Reaction score
Interesting. I would have done that with Exchange on the server...not the cheapest thing but it would certainly enable everything you want to do. and of course Outlook ( the REAL Outlook, part of MS Office) was designed to be the client for Exchange But there is the additional cost of Windows Server. I have never set up Exchange myself but I 'owned' the Exchange guru at work some years back and the whole companies Outlook clients were all managed centrally.

The same thing of course can bedone

Reaction score
I was forced to use Outlook Express by Microsoft, but it has improved so much that I like it.

Reaction score
Well I like to use Outlook for my main email my IPS pop account. I like to use 1 email cleint app for all the the IMAP (gmail, Yahoo and AOL) accounts. I do that so i have one place to view my IMAP basically internet email accounts.

Reaction score
I was forced to use Outlook Express by Microsoft, but it has improved so much that I like it.
Outlook Express went away in XP. In Vista is it was bascially the same thing as express but called Windows email. That was left out of Windows 7 and alot of people downloaded Thunderbird or MS Windows Live Mail. I think the best one is the one that you are most used to using in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Also you can try the Windows 10 ,mail app to see if you like. If not just don't use it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question