Applications opening up in tabs

Reaction score
A few weeks ago after a reboot on one of my Win10 machines the apps (MS Office, Control Pannel, Paint, etc) all show up in what appears to be a browser session. In Excel new Workbooks are a new tab. Outlook shows mail to be read in a new tab. I want my applications to be regular win32 apps with normal pop-ups and other controls. I cannot figure our why or how to undo this. Any help is much appreciated. Here is what Outlook looks like in this environment.

Apps in browser pages.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like these may be Windows 10 "sets" - a way of opening tabbed application instances.

Can you please try going to Setting > System > Multitasking and change the option labelled "Apps and websites automatically open in new..." to "window" rather than "tab" :).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It does indeed look like "Sets", although.....
I thought that was only available with the insider program currently.

Reaction score
Hold down the Windows Key and press R, type winver and press Enter, will give you the Version of Win10 and the Build of that Version. Post that line of numbers.

I don't have anything about Sets on my IP Pro Version 1803 Build 17686.1003.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's more or less already available by default in the Insider Preview
IF you launch File Explorer or Control Panel or any of a number of other application (even a Command Prompt) you should see the "New Tab" icon at the top of the Window.

They've just more or less tightened up the integration with the Office Products.

Another snip from my other install which doesn't have any Office Product Installed.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question