SOLVED Sound failing after windows 10 1903 upgrade

Reaction score
I have two PC's both fail to play sounds after 1903 upgrade. I have tried all suggested methods , reinstalling drivers etc with no effect.
Pc is Linx 1010b and the other an Intel system with a usb sound device. My wife's Lenovo laptop works fine. If I go back to previous windows 10 back up (1803) version they work fine
Help!

Reaction score
How to Fix Audio Not Working on Windows 10
  1. Check your cables and volume. Make sure your speakers or headphones are plugged into the proper jacks and the volume is turned up. Then, check your volume levels. To do this: right-click the speaker icon in your system tray, then select Volume Mixer from the list of options.
    Some speakers or headphones have their own apps with volume controls. You might need to check there as well.
  2. Make sure your audio device is the default. If your speakers or headphones use a USB or HDMI port, you might need to make that device your default. To do that:
    1. Type "Sound" in the Windows 10 search box, then select Sound from the list of results.
    2. Select the Playback tab (if you're not there already), then select your audio device.
    3. Select Set Default.
      1. Restart your PC after an update. A lot of Windows 10 updates want you to restart your device after installation, and if you haven't done so yet it could be causing your audio issue. So, save your work, close all of your applications, and give your computer a quick reboot.

2. Try a System Restore. If you still have no sound after installing the updates, you could try going back to a previous system restore point. Windows creates one whenever it installs an update on your device, just in case there's a problem.

3. Run the Windows 10 Audio Troubleshooter. It can diagnose and fix a variety of common sound problems. To use it:
        1. Type "audio troubleshooter" into the Windows 10 search box.
        2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems.
        3. When the troubleshooter appears, simply follow the on-screen prompts.
        4. Run the Windows 10 Audio Troubleshooter. It can diagnose and fix a variety of common sound problems. To use it:
          Update your audio driver. If your sound still isn't working, updating your Windows 10 audio driver could resolve the issue.
          1. Type "Device Manager" into the search box, then select it from the list of results.
          2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers, then double-click your sound card.
          3. Select the Driver tab, then select Update Driver.
          Uninstall and reinstall your audio driver. If updating your Windows 10 audio driver doesn't work, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Find your sound card in the Device Manager again, then right-click it and select Uninstall. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver after you restart your computer.
Good Luck.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Reaction score
How to Fix Audio Not Working on Windows 10
  1. Check your cables and volume. Make sure your speakers or headphones are plugged into the proper jacks and the volume is turned up. Then, check your volume levels. To do this: right-click the speaker icon in your system tray, then select Volume Mixer from the list of options.
    Some speakers or headphones have their own apps with volume controls. You might need to check there as well.
  2. Make sure your audio device is the default. If your speakers or headphones use a USB or HDMI port, you might need to make that device your default. To do that:
    1. Type "Sound" in the Windows 10 search box, then select Sound from the list of results.
    2. Select the Playback tab (if you're not there already), then select your audio device.
    3. Select Set Default.
      1. Restart your PC after an update. A lot of Windows 10 updates want you to restart your device after installation, and if you haven't done so yet it could be causing your audio issue. So, save your work, close all of your applications, and give your computer a quick reboot.

2. Try a System Restore. If you still have no sound after installing the updates, you could try going back to a previous system restore point. Windows creates one whenever it installs an update on your device, just in case there's a problem.

3. Run the Windows 10 Audio Troubleshooter. It can diagnose and fix a variety of common sound problems. To use it:
        4. Run the Windows 10 Audio Troubleshooter. It can diagnose and fix a variety of common sound problems. To use it:
        5. Update your audio driver. If your sound still isn't working, updating your Windows 10 audio driver could resolve the issue.
          1. Type "Device Manager" into the search box, then select it from the list of results.
          2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers, then double-click your sound card.
          3. Select the Driver tab, then select Update Driver.
        6. Uninstall and reinstall your audio driver. If updating your Windows 10 audio driver doesn't work, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Find your sound card in the Device Manager again, then right-click it and select Uninstall. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver after you restart your computer.
Good Luck.
I've done all this that you suggest to no avail. I will try again step by step just incase I missed a step
Dave

Reaction score
I've got a fairly outdated HP Desktop here that used IDT Audio drivers.

Each time I upgrade these days I need to go into Device Manager and change the IDT driver to the generic Microsoft HD Audio driver.

You can block Microsoft Windows Update from downloading driver updates using their Show Hide app:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks for this - I had an issue a while back with a driver update caused problems - good to know I can block driver updates. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reaction score
I've got a fairly outdated HP Desktop here that used IDT Audio drivers.

Each time I upgrade these days I need to go into Device Manager and change the IDT driver to the generic Microsoft HD Audio driver.

You can block Microsoft Windows Update from downloading driver updates using their Show Hide app:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Regards,

Regedit32
That sounds ok if the last update didn't cause problems having updated to a failing driver & cannot now roll back the driver I'm stuck with a failing driver

Reaction score
Open Device Manager, right-click on the sound device, select "Update driver", "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". If one is found, install it. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Reaction score
Open Device Manager, right-click on the sound device, select "Update driver", "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". If one is found, install it. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben
Well can't find any as the drivers are from Microsoft, I keep getting the 'best driver is already installed' & it doesn't work!
But thanks for the reply. At one time a Microsoft engineer tried with remote control & failed to fix it, & the telephone call from another Microsoft engineer never came!

Reaction score
Please confirm that you are clicking "Browse my computer..." and "Let me pick from a list.." and not "Search automatically...".

Ben

Reaction score
You probably won't have to search for it. Just click "Update driver", "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and you should see the existing driver and any other compatible drivers on the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
Ben
I've done that it picks a USB sound driver & says its updated it & nothing has changed, still no sound!
Well I looked at my Linx 1010b driver folder & noted one file not in my audio driver folder (a realteck setup info file). Putting this file in the audio folder solved the problem when I uninstalled the driver & reinstalled by looking for the driver on my pc.
This solved the problem with my linx1010b device. Still got problems with the 3D sound USB adaptor on my main pc.

Ask a Question