SOLVED PC making sounds

Reaction score
Recently, my PC began making irritating "clunk-clunk" audible sounds while it sat unattended. Coincidentally, my laptop (same brand, same OS, same updates) sits silently nearby in the same room. The sounds in question are a burst of two "clunks" with an (approx) 30 second interval.

Turning all 'notifications' off doesn't help, but it does seem that going to my Power and Sleep setting and changing my Screen and Sleep settings both to "never" does the job for this PC. The noises may only happen when the screen is black, although I'm not 100% certain about that.

As this is a relatively new issue, I wondered about this being a result of some recent Win10 update.

Reaction score
Check in Settings > System > Notifications & actions and see if it something there causing the problem?: :)

Reaction score
Sometimes ports on a machine can cause a connect or disconnect sound, might check all the Power settings to see if something is set turn off.

Reaction score
I've never experienced this before, but the intermittent sounds (loud enough to be irritating) have stopped as long as the monitor is not "black". When time allows, I'll check with my monitor mftr and see if they have any feedback.

Not seeming to be a Win10 issue - at least nothing others have experienced - I'll mark this as "solved".

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Do you mean to say that the noise will cease if you turn the monitor off?

Dustywoodworker -

Just the opposite. When the monitor turns 'black' the intermittent noise begins.

It seems as though I have stopped these chirping noises by doing the following:
Start/Windows Settings/System/Power & Sleep/Screen/ When plugged in, turn off after/Never

I don't like to have my screen on 24 hours a day, but it is preferable to the intermittent chirping.

On a side note, and although I knew ahead of time my monitor was not the issue here (it does not have speakers), I called the monitor's manufacturer to see if this issue had ever been reported. It had not.

Reaction score
Check in Settings > System > Notifications & actions and see if it something there causing the problem?: :)
Wolfie -
My first course of action was to turn ALL notifications "off" which had no effect on the noises.

Reaction score
I run my dual monitor system with a setting that puts the monitors in power saver mode (goes dark) after three minutes. I heard no difference either way; however, if I turn the volume way up on the speakers I do hear a rumbling noise that I do not hear with the volume at the normal level.

Monitors "off" or monitors in "power saver mode" makes no difference on mine.

Hoping you resolve this satisfactorily soon.

Reaction score
I'm curious. What did you have the sleep time set for when it was clunky.

Changing the discussion a wee bit - I too have a sleep time phenomena. I have my sleep time set for 3 minutes. After three minutes of idol time the monitors go blank as expected BUT then 3 minutes later they come back to life even with no activity. Then 3 minutes later the screens go dark and remain that way until there is activity.

I witness this routine daily. I get up at 3:00am, turn on the coffee and then log in. By the time I have read my email and checked the forum coffee is ready. I turn out the light5s and go have my first coffee in the dark (wife is still sleeping), hearing aids are charging thus it is my "quiet time".

Reaction score
Changing the discussion a wee bit - I too have a sleep time phenomena. I have my sleep time set for 3 minutes. After three minutes of idol time the monitors go blank as expected BUT then 3 minutes later they come back to life even with no activity. Then 3 minutes later the screens go dark and remain that way until there is activity.

Dusty - your phenomena is peculiar, as well. Thankfully, for you, is is a quiet phenomena.

Well, my issue is back, although without as much force as before since I have turned my external speakers down a bit. The noise occurs approx every 30 seconds as before when my screen is black. My wife and I can barely hear it from the other rooms now as the speakers are turned down so we can live with that. Trying to describe the noise is difficult, but now I would compare it to dropping pebbles into a pool. Kind of a "bloop" "bloop". I'm fairly certain my noise is outside of the regular "notifications" categories and I'm fairly certain my noise is linked somehow to my screen 'sleep' mode. I'm definitely certain these noises just began in the last few weeks. Also, this phenomena (to use your word) does not occur with my nearby laptop which is a mirror copy of brand, OS, and Win10 updates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have said "When the monitor turns 'black' the intermittent noise begins".

We are assuming that the monitor turns black when the system goes into sleep mode. I am assuming that the noise occurs ONLY at that transition point (when the monitor turns black. Is that the case?

If the noise persists during the entire time that the monitor is black (but still turned on) and ceases otherwise then I am convinced that it is related to "sleep mode" but I think you have tested that and said that the noise cannot be eliminated by disabling sleep mode.

Reaction score
You have said "When the monitor turns 'black' the intermittent noise begins".

I'll try to be a bit clearer regarding when the sounds occur and what makes those sounds stop. As long as my monitor is "on" and I'm able to see the icons on my desktop or do usual work on my PC, there is NO noise. When I step away from my PC and enough time passes to align with whichever "sleep" setting I have selected, the screen "sleeps" (turns black). Then, the noises begin again (usually in two bursts) every 30 seconds or so. These sounds continue until I return to the PC and hit the space bar or enter key which causes the monitor to light up and display my icons.

If I change my sleep mode options to "never" and "never" there is no noise since the screen never turns black (sleeps).

It's no great surprise that others have NOT experienced this since my other computer is not doing this.

Reaction score
For the second time I will mark this problem as "solved" although the reason for its happening is unclear.

What I have opted to do - and what seems to work for my household - is to set the parameters of the screen/sleep to 2 hours as well as setting the parameters of the PC/sleep to 2 hours. It might be that the reason for my noise has something to do with the relationship between the screen/sleep mode and the PC/sleep modes.

I'm not a huge fan of having to wake up my PC after 2 hours have elapsed, but it is preferable to constant noises coming from my office.

As always, I have appreciated any and all feedback.

Reaction score
The only time I've gotten sound from the desktop monitor [HP 21"] was when I had the built-in speakers plugged into a computer and had the USB cable [required for the touch-screen feature] plugged in.

Reaction score
Please help me I have the same problem, maybe someone helps me? Gofrgo Paripdf
dorylore - If you have the same issue of 'noises' coming from your PC, it can become a total nuisance. I went to my Win10 settings/system/power and sleep and there made the "screen" and "PC sleep" time the same; namely, now set at 4 hours. No more noises.

Reaction score
Recently, my PC began making irritating "clunk-clunk" audible sounds while it sat unattended. Coincidentally, my laptop (same brand, same OS, same updates) sits silently nearby in the same room. The sounds in question are a burst of two "clunks" with an (approx) 30 second interval.

I hear the same noise when my iPhone is close to the PC. I figure is happens when the phone is looking for info of some description.

Ask a Question