SOLVED Making OneDrive stop being annoying

Reaction score
I searched for topics on getting rid of OneDrive but didn't find anything like this, which seems odd, but...

Laptop with Windows 10 Home. Plain, ordinary laptop.

One Drive keeps popping up a window wanting me to configure it. I DON'T WANT TO. I don't care if it stays on the box, BUT MAKE IT STOP BEING ANNOYING.....

I DON'T have a gpedit.msc. I went out to GET gpedit.msc, followed the instructions in answers.microsoft.com and ended up at a site where I could download it. Did. Installed it. It's SITTING in Windows/system32 but I CAN'T RUN IT. Even as an administrator. Doing a Window+R and entering gpedit.msc gets me an error that Windows can't find it. Going INTO system32 and running it gets me the error that MMC cannot open it.

SO, can SOMEBODY tell me how to simply, without wasting another TWO hours, shut this thing up.

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling it? Don't know if that is possible in the HOME version (I have pro)

Reaction score
I haven't tried uninstalling because the things I've read said if you do, and then need it, there's no REASONABLE way to get it back... I know me. If I uninstall it today, 'long about Thursday I'll suddenly have something happen and need it...

I went through a LONG article on making it stop being annoying, that included a registry change, which I DID, then at the BOTTOM of the whole thing it says "This registry change ONLY WORKS on WINDOWS 7, 8, AND 8.1. IT WON'T WORK ON WINDOWS 10.....

Reaction score
The best way to stop it being annoying is to configure it to use just one directory like downloads and let it quietly do its thing in the background.

Reaction score
Blech.... I hope there's a better way than to feed this troll and give it files to shove around... One problem I have is that when I'm on the road, I'm on a metered connection and the LAST thing I want happening is some %$#@&*( like One Drive shoving files across the Internet...

If I have to, I'll uninstall it before that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I use One Drive all the time, so I'm not likely to be of much help, but.....
IF you open Task Manager and then use the "Startup" tab and right click Microsoft OneDrive and choose "Disable"......
Does that provide any relief.
That should prevent it from starting when Windows starts. I'm just not sure if it will relieve the annoyance that you are describing

Additionally, you might go into Settings -> System -> Notifications & Actions and turn off One Drive

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, there's NO One Drive in the Startup tab... I checked to see if I could shut the thing off that way. There's also nothing for One Drive in Notifications & Actions... I'm not sure where it's coming from or why it keeps displaying the configuration popup.

Reaction score
You do not see one drive in startup?? see pic

2017-02-13_202046.jpg

I'll admit it may be different in the HOME version than it is in the PRO version

Reaction score
You do not see one drive in startup?? see pic

View attachment 4766

I'll admit it may be different in the HOME version than it is in the PRO version

I'm planning to suggest @GracieAllen using this method. In the past, I always got that kind of annoying message and notification. After disabling it from Startup tab in Task Manager and reboot my computer, the issue is no longer available.

Reaction score
That was one of the first things I thought of too... But there's nothing in startup on either machine sitting in front of me. The laptop that gets the popup is running Windows 10 Home. That's the first image. The desktop is running Windows 10 Pro, and it doesn't get the popup too often. That's the second image. Unless I"m missing it, there's nothing for One Drive on either.

SnipImage.JPG
snip.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the support.office.com info looks like this:

I'll SKIP all the gpedit stuff, 'cause Windows 10 Home DOESN'T HAVE A GPEDIT utility. And if you follow the instructions and DOWNLOAD one from some source, and install it, you MAY get the same error I did about it not being a valid MMC file. SO, at the moment, that option isn't available to me.......

Hide OneDrive in Windows 10
OneDrive is built in to Windows 10, so it can't be uninstalled. But you can hide it and stop the sync process, so it stays hidden. To do this, turn off all the OneDrive settings and remove the OneDrive folder from File Explorer.

1. In the Notifications area on the bottom of the Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon. You might have to click the Show Hidden Icons arrow to find OneDrive.

ce960e20-2ea4-4298-8ec8-8399b1b20e20.png

2. Click Settings, and on the Settings tab, uncheck all the boxes under General.
No boxes checked
onedrive0.JPG

1. On the Auto save tab, set the Documents and Pictures lists to This PC only, and uncheck the other boxes.
I don't see any Auto Save tab...
  1. On the Account tab, click Choose folders.
Can't choose folders, they're grayed out...

onedrive1.JPG

At this point, the whole thing composts and all the subsequent instructions are useless as near as I can tell.

1. In the Sync your OneDrive files to this PC box, check and uncheck the box at Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive. (The first check selects all the boxes, then the uncheck clears them all.) Click OK to close the box and return to settings.

This step removes all OneDrive files from your computer, but leaves them on OneDrive.com.

2. Click OK to save your changes in the Settings box.

3. Open the Settings box again: In the Notifications area, right-click the OneDrive icon, click Settings. On the Account tab, click Unlink OneDrive. Close the Welcome to OneDrive box that appears.

4. Open File Explorer, right-click OneDrive, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, next to Attributes, check the Hidden box. This hides OneDrive from File Explorer.

5. One more time, back in the Notifications area, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Exit. This removes the OneDrive icon from the Notifications area.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this:

Here is how you uninstall OneDrive in Windows 10 or Windows 8, as well)

• Press WinKey+R to bring up the Run dialog
  • Type cmd to bring up the command prompt window
  • Type the following to kill the OneDrive process: TASKKILL /f /im OneDrive.exe
  • To uninstall the OneDrive from Windows 10, issue the following commands
    1. If you are on a 32-bit system, type: %systemroot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
    2. If you run a 64-bit version, type: %systemroot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
The above command will remove OneDrive from your computer. It will not give you any confirmation though. Note that some folders and files related to OneDrive.exe process will still remain behind after you uninstall it. No changes will happen to the files and folders present in your OneDrive folder.

But if you want to also remove the residual folders, search for OneDrive in “%UserProfile%, “%LocalAppData% and “%ProgramData% folders and delete them.

To remove the residual OneDrive registry keys, Run regedit and delete these two keys, to remove Explorer integration:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}
If at any time later you feel like installing OneDrive, just open the command prompt window as explained in step 1 to 2 above. Then based on whether yours’ is a 32-bit or 64-bit system, type the following:

• For 32-bit systems: %systemroot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe
  • For 64-bit systems:: %systemroot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe

Reaction score
Back in 2015 when I first started trying to get rid of this thing, I posted all the startup stuff. There was no anything Onedrive. SOMEWHERE along the time between then and now, in one of the umpteen MS updates, something called "Microsoft OneDrive Setup" showed up in the Startup stuff. I IMMEDIATELY disabled it.

Nothing else up 'til then had done anything (as you can see from the umpteen previous posts), but since seeing this show up and disabling it, I don't RECALL getting the popup. I have NO idea which, if any, of the many things I did got rid of it, but it appears to be sitting quietly now and not popping up.

Ask a Question