SOLVED Keyboard Stops Working when Sound is Played.

Reaction score
I got a Cyber Gaming PC and when I connected my headset and watched a youtube video, my keyboard stopped working. So I unplugged the headset and it worked. Keyboard does continue to work when I plugin the headset in but stops working when sound is played. I contacted support from the makers of the pc and they said it might be something with the PC itself and they wish for me to send it back to them. The last thing I want to do is pay to send them my PC. I want to know if there is another solution.

Heres what Ive Done so far:

1. Updated all Drivers.
2. Moved the keyboard into different ports.
3. Ive installed the recent update of windows.

Please Help me find a solution to this.

Reaction score
Have you tried a set of speakers in the jack [usually the light green on on the back of the computer]? Could be the headset is the problem, or maybe they are USB? Are the keyboard and mouse Wired USB or Wireless USB?

Reaction score
Have you tried a set of speakers in the jack [usually the light green on on the back of the computer]? Could be the headset is the problem, or maybe they are USB? Are the keyboard and mouse Wired USB or Wireless USB?
The Keyboard and mouse require you to plug it into the PC to work if that's what your asking

Reaction score
The Keyboard and mouse require you to plug it into the PC to work if that's what your asking
Yes, that's why the mention of Wired USB or Wireless USB. Older computers had PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse and were colored green for mouse and purple for keyboard or if only one PS/2 port would be half purple and half green.

Reaction score
Yes, that's why the mention of Wired USB or Wireless USB. Older computers had PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse and were colored green for mouse and purple for keyboard or if only one PS/2 port would be half purple and half green.
So what should I do?

Reaction score
We are asking, is your keyboard USB and is your Headset USB?

I can see no reason why playing sound would stop the keyboard from working unless some system resource was being used by both and the audio had priority. You say you switched ports but on some systems, different USB ports may be on different USB controllers, so make sure and try all. Make sure the keyboard is in a designated port or USB 2.0 port

You might also open the Device Manager and set it to show hidden devices. Then check for your devices and uninstall instances of those which are greyed out. The greyed out instance means the device is not currently plugged in although it may still have a non-greyed instance.

While you are in the Device Manger, highlight the headset and go to show devices by connection and get us a snipping tool picture of the area showing where your headset is connected. Then do the same for the keyboard.

Reaction score

I can see no reason why playing sound would stop the keyboard from working unless some system resource was being used by both and the audio had priority. You say you switched ports but on some systems, different USB ports may be on different USB controllers, so make sure and try all. Make sure the keyboard is in a designated port or USB 2.0 port

You might also open the Device Manager and set it to show hidden devices. Then check for your devices and uninstall instances of those which are greyed out. The greyed out instance means the device is not currently plugged in although it may still have a non-greyed instance.

While you are in the Device Manger, highlight the headset and go to show devices by connection and get us a snipping tool picture of the area showing where your headset is connected. Then do the same for the keyboard.
I need to plug in my keyboard and headset to a port. It isn't wireless.

Reaction score

oh my, Didnt Read the rest of your post. Here are the Screenshots.

Attachments

• Audio.PNG
    Audio.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 499
  • Keyboard.PNG
    Keyboard.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 465
Reaction score
It looks like you are using a Realtek Digital Audio output. What is that output connected to?

I have never tried running an optical output so no experience with that in a computer. It works fine with my Audio equipment.

Reaction score
It looks like you are using a Realtek Digital Audio output. What is that output connected to?

I have never tried running an optical output so no experience with that in a computer. It works fine with my Audio equipment.

I used to use a realtek mic but like you told me to do, i uninstalled it. I use a turtle beach Headset. Also, how would I find the output?

Reaction score
A digital output on a computer is normally an optical output next to the audio jacks. If you are not using an optical cable to connect to another device, maybe you have another type of special connector and are not using the normal Audio jacks for your sound.

I don't suppose it would be so simple as when you are typing and making noise, that noise would shut off the sound when using a communication device. If it thought the noise was a voice, it may mute or lower the sound output. This situation can be modified using settings in Win 10.

Reaction score
A digital output on a computer is normally an optical output next to the audio jacks. If you are not using an optical cable to connect to another device, maybe you have another type of special connector and are not using the normal Audio jacks for your sound.

I don't suppose it would be so simple as when you are typing and making noise, that noise would shut off the sound when using a communication device. If it thought the noise was a voice, it may mute or lower the sound output. This situation can be modified using settings in Win 10.

So How would I edit it in the settings so it can be fixed?

Reaction score
If it were to be a communications situation you could open Settings-System-Sound and use the Sound Control Panel link.

On the Sound user interface, select the Communications tab. There you can change the behavior of how it reacts when communications activities are detected.

Reaction score
Sorry, I think I got your situation turned around. I still cannot think of a reason the keyboard would stop when sound was played.

Reaction score
The part about the keyboard making noise would not seem to be relevant. We still need to determine if you know if the Digital output you show is intentional or should it actually be the other Realtek output.

Sound output.JPG

Reaction score
The part about the keyboard making noise would not seem to be relevant. We still need to determine if you know if the Digital output you show is intentional or should it actually be the other Realtek output.

View attachment 10000

They keyboard doesn't make sound. It stops working when sound plays. I use a turtle beach so I would that would be the input and output?

Reaction score
OK, try disabling the Digital output seen in your attachment and the one showing disabled in my attachment, to see if it makes any difference. The situation is so strange, something out of the ordinary must be causing it.

Reaction score
OK, try disabling the Digital output seen in your attachment and the one showing disabled in my attachment, to see if it makes any difference. The situation is so strange, something out of the ordinary must be causing it.

Ok so, I did what you said, and it still hasnt worked. I Disabled the speakers that are the realtek speakers and disabled both the Digital output and the ordinary speaker (The one with the speaker box XD). Then there was a checkmark to the headset im currently using. Here is a Screenshot. But I do see something weird. The headset im using doesnt have an output like the realtek which I thought was a bit strange. I tried looking if I could enable some sort of output for my headset but I couldnt find anything. Maybe this could be the issue?

Attachments

• Audio Thing.PNG
    Audio Thing.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 433
Reaction score
The indications in your attachment are correct. Any wired devices will show Realtek.

I hate to bring this up but have you ever had any situation regarding virus infections? I just got some information from my anti-virus provider regarding keyloggers. It mentions, in some circumstance, you might see performance issues when one was active.

It still feel, somehow, the resources of the sound and keyboard must be related somehow and the sound is taking priority. A keyboard does normally have such things as volume control keys so it does have an effect on sound playback. You may try another keyboard or use the onscreen keyboard.

You could also leave the Task Manger open to the performance and see if any spikes in CPU utilization show up when the keyboard stops. If you were to notice any system wide delay when sound was played, it might be an indication the system was having performance problems.

Ask a Question