Microsoft schedule for free upgrades

Reaction score
Does anyone know when MS expects to complete upgrading PCs to Windows 10? I used Get Windows early for my Lenovo Twist, but I'm still waiting and wondering whether I've been lost.

Reaction score
Here is another way to install Windows 10. This method is published by Microsoft, so it is 110% safe and legit.

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
You can either
Select Upgrade this PC now, and then follow the instructions to finish the upgrade,
or,
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

**** note : I just came back from another thread where the OP, original poster, was also wondering why he did not get to install Windows 10 from Windows Update. I showed him the other way as I have just shown you. It turns out his computer is missing a driver. That was why he is not able to install Win 10 from Windows Update. he also failed to install using Media Creation Tool ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen the Media Creation Tool on the web, but I am hesitant to try that. I can use a computer, but I am not technically proficient enough to climb my way out of a jam if I make a critical mistake..or if the computer really isn't ready. Right now I'd just like to know that the upgrade is likely still coming.

Reaction score
I can't answer that.
Since you are still waiting for Windows Update to install Windows 10, I would speculate that there is something in your computer that is not agreeable with Windows 10.
But I do not know how to check that.
Perhaps someone will come along and help you.
Thank you.

Reaction score
The upgrade is, as stated by Microsoft, free for one year after its official release. That was 29th July this year.

Reaction score
Right now I'd just like to know that the upgrade is likely still coming.
I am assuming you meant if the upgrade will come to you eventually through Windows Update.
That is why I said I can't answer that because you might have compatibility issue with Windows 10.
If it is of any consolation, for many people using Windows 10, it is not exactly a joy ride. They have had issues left, right and center.
It could be a blessing in disguise that you don't get upgraded to Win 10.

You will need someone to check if there is anything in your computer that needs to be updated in order to get upgraded to Windows 10.
I cannot help you on that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello ironwoods and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked your Windows Update history?
Do you see multiple entries indicating that the upgrade has failed?

Reaction score
Hello ironwoods and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked your Windows Update history?
Do you see multiple entries indicating that the upgrade has failed?
Yes. Beginning on July 29 there were multiple attempts up through early September. Nothing since then. I had the same experience with an old HP Touchsmart, however, and it did finally upgrade about two weeks ago. My reservation was confirmed on the Lenovo with no problems noted. Thanks for responding to my question.

Ask a Question