Future of Windows Live mail

Reaction score
I've read where Microsoft will not support or have anything to do with Windows Live mail after January 2017.

I have Windows live mail as my email source and now wonder what will take it's place, if any.

Reaction score
By support, they merely mean that they will no longer address encountered problems, by phone or Email. There will, also, be no updates. In fact, there has not been an update for some years, so that is not a consideration
There is, and will not be,a problem with Live mail, unless you are trying to use it with Outlook mail. MS have changed the server for that program, which no longer links with Windows Live mail. Any other providers should be ok.

Reaction score
I have Windows Live Mail currently running on my Windows 10, two hotmail accounts
(this PC > Local Disk (C) > Program Files (x86) > Windows Live > Mail ......
right click wimail.exe, Pin to Start & Pin to Taskbar)

I am also running, Windows Mail app, Calendar app & People app, with both hotmail accounts installed,
& also my Gmail accounts, which could not be added in live mail
(Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account (e-mail address removed) from an app [Live Mail]
that may put your account at risk. Less secure app)

so far I have had them running in Tandem while I became accustomed to Windows 10 & the Mail app,
Calendar app & people app,

the Mail app default folders can be adjusted by clicking on Folders or More, right click on folders you reqire to see listed
(click Add to Favourites),
I have : Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Deleted, Received (clicking on the All Folders +, allows you to add named folders,)

the Calendar app allows me to add calendars from both hotmail & Gmail calendars,
(I currently have UK Holiday & Obsevances & my (e-mail address removed) calendars added)
an improvement on Live Mail calendar, as this does not work for me on Windows 10

the People app works fine also, top left is 'Showing', click on this & you can select which account contacts to show,
adding my 2 hotmail & Gmail accounts created many duplicates, but highlighting a duplicate & clicking 'Link' (3 chain links top of contact details) allowd me to merge the duplicates

People app Links.jpg

I will see how it goes, but most likely I will remove Live Mail in the future

Reaction score
I dropped Live Mail after the anniversary update. I'm currently using the mail app. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but with some tweaking it serves the purpose. :)

Reaction score
" Calendar app allows me to add calendars from both hotmail & Gmail calendars,
(I currently have UK Holiday & Obsevances & my (e-mail address removed) calendars added)
an improvement on Live Mail calendar, as this does not work for me on Windows 10"

As Live mail appears to be troublesome for some, it probably is a good ide to move on to a more updated program.
Regarding the above quote. One thing which makes me cling a little longer to Live mail is, indeed, the calendar. It works 1000% for me and, most important, I like the popup, adjacent to the in box. At my age anything that reminds me of appointments etc, is useful.
Msoutlook does the same, of course, but has an overload of functions for me.

Reaction score
As an ex-Live Mail User (and other applications), trying to live within Windows ecosystem is a bit more than I can bare at times. The only way I can seem to do so is to use as few of their applications as possible. I couldn't bring my self to use Windows Mail. Even if I somehow liked Mail, they burned a bridge forcing change. I was happy with Windows Live Mail, and was forced out in order to continue using Outlook.com. That left me with the thought of how long I could use Windows Mail before MS decided to stop supporting it.

It is my opinion that MS made change to Outlook.com to force people into using their integrated Mail app in Windows 10. No thank you Microsoft, take your shit and shove it. I will use someone Else's software in hopes they will continue supporting their product. Stand behind your products longer and I might decide to use them.

I'm still pissed off about Windows 7 not having at least a second service pack.

Reaction score
"It is my opinion that MS made change to Outlook.com to force people into using their integrated Mail app in Windows 10."

In my case, more than an opinion, I am convinced of it. The couple of server changes needed to continue to make Live Mail work, are so elementary that they could have been done in the blink of an eye, by Microsoft.

Ask a Question