SOLVED Gigabyte Brix - Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just bought a little Gigabyte Brix 1900, but when installing Windows 10 I got an error saying:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed"

It turns out that the unit needs a BIOS update to the latest version before Windows 10 can be installed. I just wanted to post this information here, as I imagine this will be a frustration to many others!

With a few workarounds, you can update the BIOS from within the Repair > Tools > Command Prompt options. Just be sure to download the DOS BIOS zip from the gigabyte website (which won't run properly, but contains the ROM), plus the Windows BIOS tool which you can then run from the command prompt.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Ian.
I've been thinking lately that in a lot of cases where we see problems relating to various hardware devices either not working or not showing up at all in Device Manager, that the solution might very well be.....
Either a BIOS update or at the very least a Chipset Driver update to support the underlying bus architecture that the hardware device is dependent on.

I also think that in a lot of cases the upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 is more likely to succeed for the same reason. The 8 drivers seem to be more compatible with 10 and seem to come over during the upgrade with less problem. But....
With so many Windows 7 users, blindly pulling the trigger on the "Free" upgrade and being a long way from anything near "Tech Savvy" I think that is where a lot of these "hardware" problems are coming from.

Reaction score
Hi Ian, I recently bought a Gigabyte BRIX 1900, and I am having problems getting Windows 10 to install. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 SP1, and while upgrading, the Windows 10 install hangs and then restores to the previous windows version.

Can you post the steps you took to get Windows 10 installed so I can see if I am missing something? I am on the latest F7 BIOS from the Gigabyte support page for the BRIX 1900.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I am typing this from a mini pc. I installed a SSD which already had Windows 10 and had to call Microsoft to confirm that it was valid. No BIOS update was required on this one. Another nice thing about this one is that it has a 2 ball fan that keeps cpu core temps in check. The Intel Celeron 3205U @ 1.50GHz is slower than your cpu but performance leaves nothing to be desired. It was a little less money too. It is the MSI Cubi-003BUS.
I am very happy with mine and it is now my go to pc for everything but high end games. It streams HD video flawlessly. I am sure you will be happy with yours.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Ian, I recently bought a Gigabyte BRIX 1900, and I am having problems getting Windows 10 to install. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 SP1, and while upgrading, the Windows 10 install hangs and then restores to the previous windows version.

Can you post the steps you took to get Windows 10 installed so I can see if I am missing something? I am on the latest F7 BIOS from the Gigabyte support page for the BRIX 1900.

Thanks!
Hi Alan, I don't have the Brix here to confirm the settings, but I do remember there was a Boot OS option in the BIOS (can't remember the name) where I needed to select "Windows 8" (as opposed to Windows 7 default) to get the ball rolling.

As I can't remember the option name or settings tab, it may be worth having a look for this in the BIOS and check that it is set to Windows 8 (works fine for w10).

Reaction score
I commented earlier about the fan in my MSI Mobie 003BUS mini pc thinking that there was no fan in the Gigabyte Brix 1900. That is an important feature which I think is a must have feature. I see now there is a fan in the Brix. I am buying a second mini pc and am considering the Brix since it has a fan and a faster cpu. Could you tell me what the CPU core temps are in your unit using Speccy. Mine are about 115 F. (not streaming HD video). The Mobi's CPU is slower but is a more modern Intel Broadwell Celeron 3205U which might tip me towards another Mobie due to it's enhanced GPU capability but I am still shopping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Alan, I don't have the Brix here to confirm the settings, but I do remember there was a Boot OS option in the BIOS (can't remember the name) where I needed to select "Windows 8" (as opposed to Windows 7 default) to get the ball rolling.

As I can't remember the option name or settings tab, it may be worth having a look for this in the BIOS and check that it is set to Windows 8 (works fine for w10).

Thanks for the update Ian. Did you do a fresh install of Windows 10 when you installed it, or did you do an upgrade from Windows 7?

I have looked into that BIOS setting you are thinking of. It is called "OS Selection," and you can set it to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.X. I think the issue is that I have to have the setting at Windows 7 in order to boot to Windows 7 and start the Windows 10 upgrade. Then during the upgrade to boot and continue the Windows 10 install it needs the Windows 8.X setting. I found an error while troubleshooting more today.

0xC1900101 - 0x30017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

I am going to try and switch the OS selection when the system reboots mid install and see if that works. I have also contacted Gigabyte support to see if they have a work around for this issue. I'll let you know what I find.

Dan99, I do not know what the core temps run at. I'll see if I can find that out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Ian. Did you do a fresh install of Windows 10 when you installed it, or did you do an upgrade from Windows 7?

I have looked into that BIOS setting you are thinking of. It is called "OS Selection," and you can set it to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.X. I think the issue is that I have to have the setting at Windows 7 in order to boot to Windows 7 and start the Windows 10 upgrade. Then during the upgrade to boot and continue the Windows 10 install it needs the Windows 8.X setting. I found an error while troubleshooting more today.

0xC1900101 - 0x30017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

I am going to try and switch the OS selection when the system reboots mid install and see if that works. I have also contacted Gigabyte support to see if they have a work around for this issue. I'll let you know what I find.

Dan99, I do not know what the core temps run at. I'll see if I can find that out.

I was able to install Windows 10 successfully by changing the "OS Selection" option in the BIOS to "Windows 8.X" after the preparing installation part of the upgrade was done and the system restarts for the first time. The change needs to be made before the upgrade begins copying files or else, I found that the installation would error. I hope this helps anyone else who need to do the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Dan, I will try to found the core temp was reporting at 55 C or 131 F.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad that you got it working! :D I did a clean install of Windows 10, so I guess that's where the difference is.

Thanks for posting the solution, I'm sure this will help others with the same problem.

Reaction score
I was able to install Windows 10 successfully by changing the "OS Selection" option in the BIOS to "Windows 8.X" after the preparing installation part of the upgrade was done and the system restarts for the first time. The change needs to be made before the upgrade begins copying files or else, I found that the installation would error. I hope this helps anyone else who need to do the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Dan, I will try to found the core temp was reporting at 55 C or 131 F.
Thanks for this. It is absolutely spot on. To clarify for other readers, you have to let the PC do its "preparation for the upgrade" and then catch it when it reboots to start the actual install. Presumably this is because the install program runs under Windows 10 so the BIOS has to have been switched over to 8.1 mode in order for it to work properly. I also suffered in that having not done so for months, Windows 7 suddenly discovered some upgrades during the Windows 10 preparation, so when it reboots (and following these instructions you switch the BIOS into Windows 8.1 mode, you then find it won't boot up because actually its still running Windows 7!

Ask a Question