Google search box disappearing in Chrome

Reaction score
I'm a real novice so please excuse my dumb question. I use chrome as my browser and I have Google as my search engine. Lately, when I try to enter a word into the Google search box, the first letter I type in makes the box disappear. Poof... it's gone! Can anyone tell me how to stop this? Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How strange!

Where do you type in to the search box, is it in the address bar at the top of the browser - or on the central search box on the Google homepage? They both work in different ways, so I just want to clarify this first :).

Reaction score
I type in the central search box. I have attached a picture of what the page looks like before I try to type in anything. The box I use is the one under the word "GOOGLE". Typing in the first letter makes that search box disappear. Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• Before I start to type.jpg
    Before I start to type.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 1,002
Reaction score
Look at the address bar at the top of the page. As soon as you start typing in the search box, everything relocates to the address bar.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Look at the address bar at the top of the page. As soon as you start typing in the search box, everything relocates to the address bar.

Yep, I think that's what's happening here :).

If you want to avoid this from happening, you can bookmark https://www.google.com as your homepage - as their website behaves as you'd expect, but your screenshot shows the Chrome default homepage which looks similar but behaves slightly differently.

Ask a Question