How do I remove "Your browser is managed" from Chrome in windows 10

Reaction score
My PC runs under Windows 10 and has the Chrome browser installed. Both are up-to-date. It is my private property and never had any connection with an "Organisation". I built it myself. Yet somehow the browser displays the message "Your browser is managed by your organisation" which prevents me from changing some settings such as disabling Hangouts which has started to insist on starting up every time I start Chrome. I never use it.
I found this article which looked as if it should work, all it did was to remove all my carefully crafted settings, bookmarks etc, but the browser is still displaying the same message.
I see similar questions on some of the Linux sites, but no useful solutions.
Has anyone successfully regained full control of their Chrome browser? I believe there may be something in the Group Policies (the "solution" that didn't work involved deleting them)

Reaction score
I finally found a Google article about Chrome browser being "managed by your organisation" when it is on your own private PC. It gives several different versions of instructions on how to remove this setting. It can be found here

Caveats
It talks about having a Google administrators account for one method. Not a lot of use for a single home PC. Your ordinary google login won't work.

In the Windows method there are a scary number of Registry entries to remove. Most delete OK, but one or two refuse to be deleted or don't exist. There is also a file to delete, but for me, that didn't exist either. However I deleted as many as I could and Chrome doesn't appear to be "managed" any more after a restart. Early days.

Ask a Question