One Drive Folder Checkmarks: How To Remove Question, Please ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I had to re-install W10 after a crash.
All the Folders I now put back on my Desktop have that One Drive check mark.

Really would like to get rid of the checkmarks.
I don' want, or need, One Drive.

So, I found the One Drive Folder, and deleted the items in it (I think).

Guess what: all the desktop Folders also disappeared !

Was able to get them back, but apparently One Drive is still functional.

So, please, how do I get rid of the checkmark, but still keep all
of my Folders on he desktop (without the checkmark)

Old age problem now, so may I please ask for very specific step by step on how to do it.

Thanks for help,
Bob

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'll share my understanding of OneDrive if it helps.

1. OneDrive seems to insert itself 'above' the Desktop folder. That is, where your path was previously C:\Users\username\Desktop, it's now C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.

2. The Desktop folder and all contents are now synced to your online OneDrive cloud so that's why you see the checkmarks on every icon on your Desktop. They indicate files that are in sync with their cloud counterpart. i.e., If you change a file on your computer, OneDrive will replace the cloud copy with the updated file, and vice versa.

3. You can copy other files from your computer to your OneDrive cloud, but unless they're in the Desktop folder, they won't be synchronized to their cloud counterpart if you make changes to them.

4. I believe you can stop OneDrive from syncing (which will remove the checkmarks) if you simply a.) Quit OneDrive, b.) Pause syncing, or c.) disable it from starting.

a. To quit OneDrive, right click its taskbar icon, click the settings cog wheel, and click 'Quit OneDrive'.
b. To Pause syncing, right click its taskbar icon, click the settings cog wheel, and click 'Pause syncing'.
a. To disable OneDrive from starting, open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), open the Startup tab, right click 'Microsoft OneDrive', and select 'Disable'.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for writing it out in such good detail.

Really a very clear explanation.
Just what I need.

Best regards,
Bob

Ask a Question