SOLVED OneDrive & documents folder seem to have each other's folder path location

Reaction score
I have bought a new computer. In File Explorer it has its usual Windows (C:) Drive and I have a Storage Drive (D:).

My aim is to put my library files (Documents, Pictures etc. in storage on Storage Drive (D:).

Before I can do that, I have noticed an anomaly that needs fixing first and I wondered if anybody can help me with this please?

If I right click my 'Documents' folder under 'This PC' and then 'Properties,' the location is shown as
C:\Users\andy5\OneDrive

If I right click my OneDrive folder just above 'This PC,' and then 'Properties,' the location is shown as
C:\Users\andy5

So what is going on here? It is as if their paths are the other way around from each other.

Can anybody help me in rectifying this problem for me please?

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
A new computer...came with a newish Windows 10 home edition right?

I have the same. Windows 10 nowadays REALLY wants to have Onedrive between you and the world. If you were using the machine straight out of the box with no files to transfer to it I guess that would be fine. But if you are moving files from an older version of W10 it is a pain.
I think that the think to do might be to either delete Onedrive as the first thing you do when the machine is empty or to just copy the files into the visible links in File Explorer and let Windows put them in one drive as it chooses.

A google search may have some better information.

Reaction score
I went through the same issue and this should help solve it

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
But if you are moving files from an older version of W10 it is a pain.
This is one of the reasons why I can't stand onedrive. Every other 3rd party cloud storage is pretty straight forward and simple to use. With MS....OH NO.....let's incorporate into the OS and make as difficult to use and let it take over everything. Then top that off with only 5 GB of storage.....what are we supposed to do with that. At least Google offers 15 GB free.

Done ranting.....

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That's why I have WD 8TB MYcloud Home drive too and only use onedrive temporary resting place until I'm back home.
I use a HDD/SSD docking station for all my backups and storage. Just plop in a drive, turn on device and 3 seconds later windows 10 recognizes it and then do my backups and data storage. I have a bunch of 3.5" drives laying around and a half doze 2.5" drives. I use a single drive for particular data storge. 1 for pictures, 1 for documents, 1 for data and 1 for backups and so on. Then I have my cloud storage. Works superb.

Reaction score
I went through the same issue and this should help solve it

So, are you saying I should uninstall OneDrive first, then put the Documents & Pictures Libraries on my D drive? Then, after that, reinstall OneDrive once again?

Thanks

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So, are you saying I should uninstall OneDrive first, then put the Documents & Pictures Libraries on my D drive? Then, after that, reinstall OneDrive once again?

Thanks
How much storage do you have with OneDrive? If it's just the default 5 GB.....I wouldn't bother at all with OneDrive. I'd just uninstall it and leave it uninstalled.

Reaction score
I actually use OneDrive believe it or not and 5 GB is enough for me at present. If I only disable it for now, then perhaps I can put my Documents & Pictures on my D drive. Once that is done, I can then re-enable OneDrive. Is that what PA Woodchuck was advocating?

HB

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I actually use OneDrive believe it or not and 5 GB is enough for me at present. If I only disable it for now, then perhaps I can put my Documents & Pictures on my D drive. Once that is done, I can then re-enable OneDrive. Is that what PA Woodchuck was advocating?

HB
I think so....

Reaction score
Panic over!

This is for any other poor unsuspecting souls that come across this problem.

The Documents and Pictures folders were linked to the OneDrive folder. I had to unlink them with a registry change as explained in the link below. Before changing anything in the registry, I advise anyone doing this take a backup of their registry first. To do this:

When the registry is first open, right at the very top, right click ‘Computer’ then click ‘Export.’ Give it a name in the letterbox window such as a Registry Backup and with me, I gave it a date too. Then, choose a location to place the registry backup on, somewhere like your desktop where you can find it easily.

Once that was completed, I was then allowed to put my Documents & Pictures Libraries alongside my Music, Videos & Downloads. All these are now on my D drive.

https://pupuweb-com.medium.com/fixe...-the-same-location-that-can-t-be-5935b3394268

I believe Microsoft could Make this a lot easier to save time. Anyway, anyone with the same problem can now do this using the instructions from this post & the link above.

Cheers

HB

Last edited:

Ask a Question