SOLVED Moving files/folder to new PC issues

Reaction score
What I did was send one folder at a time such as documents, pictures, downloads to external HD. I checked folder size, but when I copied into to new PC... folder/files had a small red "X" beside them, plus folders did show correct size. When copied to external HD all was correct. Why is WIN10 doing this?

Reaction score
Sounds like it's unsuccessfully trying to sync the files to onedrive. Maybe because they are already there? I don't sync my files to onedrive, so I'm not sure you'll get a red x for that situation. But I know someone asked a similar question not long ago.

Reaction score
Hi there,
You can solve the problem of the red X sign by following these ways
1. You have to sync your one drive account with your Microsoft account. To do this follow these steps
step1. Click the OneDrive button at the bottom-right corner.
step2. Then select the More option>Click on Settings.
step3. Go to the account tab and then click on unlink this PC.
step4. Then sign in with your one drive account
step5. Finally, you would successfully link it with your account.

2. One drive may be full. To check for storage follow these steps-
step 1. Go to the OneDrive menu, and select More> Settings.
step 2. Select the Account tab.
step 3. Click on choose folders.
step 4. Uncheck the folders that you don’t want to upload to OneDrive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks and will look into later today. I did find that documents/pictures are located on onedrive which I guess MS wants everyone to use by default. Not for me! Also wanting to set the documents/pictures/downloads, etc. on D: since C: 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + D: 2TB 7200RPM. I have a WD home cloud 8TB to control who I share data with.

Reaction score
The issue is I don't want documents and pictures linked to one drive. At this point I lost all files on onedrive. Also I want to move the documents and pictures folder from C:\users\name\onedrive\documents to d:\documents. same for photos but will not let the move

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
I made some progress since last post
I found onedrive setting to turn off cloud backup was able to move folders except
the pictures folder.

thx

Reaction score
The FIX was to uninstall OneDrive, reboot and reinstall.
select "the cloud" in task bar and follow through completing install which also give a choice where to install.
My case HD D:
Now all I need to do is reinstall data back into folders... that I haven't lost(LOL)!

Ask a Question