Moving individual files from one drive to another

Reaction score
In transferring data from an old PC to a new one, a lot of files and photos were inadvertently loaded onto the C drive. They take up an enormous amount of space and I would like to move them to another drive--either onto the D drive, or to an external drive. With Windows 7 and previous versions, it was simple--I could create a folder in the target drive, open and expand both drives and move the individual files from the old folder to the other folder. It was previously possible to show both expanded drives side by side, and the transfer was simple and quick. I cannot figure out how to make that work with Windows 10. What am I missing?

Reaction score
Do you require administrator permission? Same procedure drag and drop should work, that's how I transferred my personal data files from Win 7 to 10

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to make that work with Windows 10. What am I missing?
Open File Explorer
Left navigation pane, select the source drive
Left navigation pane, right click the target drive and select open in new window.
Same deal with folders open the source folder and then use the navigation pane to open the target folder in a new window by right clicking and choosing that option from the context menu.

Reaction score
I highly recommend the copy handler program for this! https://sourceforge.net/projects/copyhandler/ unless you're copying from a Win 10 to a Win 10 machine. It's robust in its error handling, and specifically intended for copying from one volume (drive) to another.
-----
"Mine is a long and sad tale" said the mouse. "I can see that it's long, but why do you call it sad?" said Alice

Reaction score
My old PC Tower (WinXP) self-destructed... but before it finally went I got a new PC with W8.1 I copied regular dataFiles onto a CD or DVD(?) All standard Files but none of the Applications would copy. Then I came across a DVD-programme called (boring name I'm afraid) "TransferMyPC" v8. (from "orlogix") ( www.orlogix.com )
Check 'em out.
My trusty local PC Doctors upgraded my W8.1 PC to W10 for me (as the MS upgrade never worked because of it having a partitioned hard drive) and I ran this 2-step process from one PC to the new one with ease.

Ask a Question