Moving Non-system Files To A Unallocated Partition

Reaction score
Hello all.. My HD has 2 partitions. DISK 0 and DISK 1.

It seems to me that ALL of my files reside on DISK 0.

I would like to separate my programs and other Non-system files to DISK 1.

How can I accomplish this?

TIA!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi tom,

Welcome to the Forum.

The simplest way to do this would be the following:
  • First access Disk 1 and create a new folder there - name it whatever you want to name it.
  • Next go to your usual Desktop for your User name and from here open File Explorer
  • In the address bar of File Explorer type %userprofile% and press Enter key

You'll now see your various data folders, Pictures, Library, Music, etcetera.

• Simply right-click on a folder you want to move, and select Properties.
  • In the window that opens click the Location tab
  • Click the Move button
  • Select that folder you created on Disk 1

The move may take a while depending on how much data is in a folder.
Repeat process for any other files or folders you wish to move. You can create other folders on your Disk 1 to move things to if you wish to.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
That works for data folders but moving programs doesn't work that way. The best way probably is to place them on another disk at install time although not all programs will let you do that. I believe that you can't move program files or program files(x86) and many 3rd party programs install themselves there ( for no good reason I can see although doing that makes the PATH variable shorter.) iTunes, Calibre, Malwarebytes and many others.

Reaction score
Installing Win10 programs on drive D is something I've done quite a few times, since my C drive has only 32 GB - really! Most programs will install in D:\Programs instead of C:\Program Files. Read the install options carefully to change the installation path.

PortableApps offers a good selection of portable versions of programs,which you can install completely on any drive (even a thumb drive).

There are tutorials elsewhere you can search for: "how to move Windows 10 apps" and "how to uninstall Windows apps" - the ones that do not have an "uninstall" option.

If your other drive is an SD card you have extra problems. Dropbox will only put its folder on a fixed drive, no matter how 'fixed' you use it. Macrium Reflect Free will create a backup image on an SD card, but you must copy it to an external USB to restore it.

Ask a Question