Removing old Windows files

Reaction score
I had to have a new hard drive installed and my old files were put in under a new file name, "Old". I've taken out all the program files under that but there is a lot of space taken up by old Windows files. I can't delete them because it says they are open in another program. I used SpaceSniffer to see how much room "Old" was taking up but couldn't see it. Is there a way to clear out that space? Thanks!

Reaction score
Who put it under "Old"?
Are you referring to Windows.old folder?

Windows 10 Disk Cleanup. Select C-Drive to calculate, then click Clean up system files, it will calculate again. Check Old Windows installations checkbox.
If all works, Windows.old folder will be gone, but it may leave a few small folders inside. It's a known problem.

Reaction score
The place that put in the new hard drive saved my old files under C:/Old. (I do already clean out system files under disk cleanup.)

Reaction score
Don't know that the old files are, but if you are now logged in under a different name, you probably have to take ownership of the folder to delete them. No way for me to know what the place did with your old drive & the new drive.

Reaction score
I have the same name. I have had new hard drives put in this way before as a way to save my old files and let me decide which to drag-and-drop to keep and which to delete. I have that little app, Take Ownership, but even with that I couldn't delete the old Windows drivers and other files.

Ask a Question