Text documents & Word 2016 documents have changed their look in OneDrive.

Reaction score
I don’t know whether it’s something I have done with an accidental setting change, or it has been caused by a Windows update. If you look at the attachments below, you will see what I mean.

Text document & Word 2016 document icons have changed their look in OneDrive. They do not look like their traditional icons any more in here. In other parts of the computer they look normal but it is only in OneDrive that they have changed. You can see the extensions of each file but they both look nothing like their usual icons.

They were fine up until a week ago.

Has anybody seen this before or have an explanation and can I change them back to how they looked before?

Thanks

HB

Attachments

• .txt Notepad document looks strange..jpg
    .txt Notepad document looks strange..jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 508
  • .doc.jpg
    .doc.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't think it's you but more MS and it's changing the way Onedrive and Outlook.com look. I don't use them as MS has a tendency to make such changes convoluted then necessary. I really wish MS would follow the KISS system (KISS - keep it simple stupid).

Reaction score
I totally agree with you! Perhaps they may know about this and didn't mean it to happen. I'm hoping another update may change them back to their original states again. Who knows?

HB

Reaction score
Just for the record, I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling Microsoft OneDrive and that didn’t work.

What I did find was when I uninstalled OneDrive, then all my text & Word folders looked normal again as their regular icons. As soon as I reinstalled OneDrive, then the icons went back to looking like the icons in my previous post.

Let me just say, as far as I know, OneDrive still works and syncs properly. When clicking on them, the text & Word icons no matter what they look like still open normally as their respective files. It’s just they don’t look normal as an icon when in OneDrive and OneDrive is installed.

Let me just add, they only look like this when in, Extra-large icon, Large icon, Tiles icon & Content view. When in, Small icon, List, or Details view, then they look normal.

@Ian , @Regedit32, @Trouble, anyone with some help?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer use the View tab and select another option, perhaps "Details"
Likewise your live One Drive folder online has a similar view option and is available by the icon in the top right corner just to the right of the "Sort" icon.
Maybe experiment until you find a view option with the icons displayed as you prefer.

Reaction score
I’m happy with the online folders in OneDrive and yes, that is what I have done now and selected small icons on the PC.

It’s just that as you get used to something, you like it to be as it was. What I cannot understand is, these were all working fine a week ago so what could have happened?

The only thing I can think of is a Windows update must have caused this.

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a Windows update must have caused this.
Since this past Tuesday was "Update Tuesday" and the Cumulative Update that was pushed jumped the build number up a bit.....
That could be what has impacted your experience and caused what you are describing.
Personally, I haven't noticed that result but I know a lot of people have reported various oddities.

I change my various folder views so often that it might have happened to me and I just didn't notice.

Reaction score
You may well be right.

Is it worth doing a system restore or not worth the hassle? Microsoft may pick this up and put it right at some point in another update perhaps?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it worth doing a system restore
I wouldn't.....
Unless you have other much more serious issues.
Besides a System Resore, might just queue up the same update, which could produce similar results.

As a rule, I generally save System Restore as an option to recover from catastrophic registry problems or similar bad driver installs and the like.

Ask a Question