OneDrive folder is back

Reaction score
I completely removed OneDrivbe from Windows 10 and completely removed the OneDrive folder and all subfolders, after providing alternative places for the subfolder information under my main user folder. All of a sudden, while the OneDrive application is stilled removed, I once again find the OneDrive folder and a Documents and a Pictures subfolder. I have no idea what created the OneDrive folder and subfolders once again, but I suspect it is some Windows Update. The OneDrive Documents and Pictures subfolders appear to be some subset of my normal Documents and Pictures subfolders. Does anybody know what is going on here ? I know I have uninstalled the OneDrive application itself and I know I previously deleted the OneDrive folder and all its subfolders. Why is Windows 10 insisting I have a OneDrive folder when I do not want it at all ? I have my own local backups of Windows 10 and do not need OneDrive in any way.

Reaction score
Hi,

did you install MS Office after you removed the OneDrive app from your PC?, if you did, that might explain how it came back?. :eek:

Reaction score
Onedrive, alone, will be returned with most of the regular Windows 10 updates, if it is seen as a "new" version<.

But as Wolfie says, it is linked to Office, so you need to unlink it from your office account.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Onedrive, alone, will be returned with most of the regular Windows 10 updates, if it is seen as a "new" version<.

But as Wolfie says, it is linked to Office, so you need to unlink it from your office account.
I have some old Office 2003 components, including Excel.

Reaction score
As Dave said, have you checked your Office account should you have one??. :)
I have Excel 2003. Still usable. Is OneDrive actually linked to this ? If so, how do I "unlink" it so I can remove the OneDrive folder and it stays removed.

Reaction score
And are they linked to your MS account?. If it is, you may have to log into your MS account directly via a web browser and unlink it from there?. :)

Reaction score
And are they linked to your MS account?. If it is, you may have to log into your MS account directly via a web browser and unlink it from there?. :)
I can sign in to my MS account. I do not see anything there about OneDrive or how I "unlink" it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Did you unlink it assuming it is (your account) linked to it per the link above?.;)

Reaction score
Did you unlink it assuming it is (your account) linked to it per the link above?.;)
I do not understand what you are asking. I had, in the past, gone to my OneDrive backup area online and removed all the backup information there. I had then uninstalled the OneDrive application in Windows 10, moved the relevant OneDrive sub-folders locally to some other places under my local account, and then deleted the OneDrive folder and its subfolders locally. I thought this would have gotten rid of OneDrive completely under Windows 10. I then recently noticed the OneDrive folder was created locally again under Windows 10 by something or other, even though OneDrive is not installed at all. Thus this thread. Following your link above it starts by saying something about the OneDrive icon in the System Tray, but since OneDrive is not installed, there is no such icon in my Windows 10 system. Why or how the OneDrive folder and subfolders popped up again locally under Windows 10, despite OneDrive not being installed at all under Windows 10, I do not know.

Reaction score
I can sign in to my MS account. I do not see anything there about OneDrive or how I "unlink" it.
Hi,

if there is nothing there, check in the registry and see if there is an entry for OneDrive there, if there is, remove it!. Press the Windows logo key + r and type "regedit", press Ctrl + f and search for any entries and delete them.

1611323334896.png

1611323361167.png

Ask a Question