How do I wrest control from Macrium Rreflect?

Reaction score
My previous computer had a Macrium app (I don't think it was Reflect) installed. Two weeks ago I migrated from the Win10 Home to a Win 10 Pro on another PC. Both were Win 10 Ver 1703. I used PCMover
for the migration. Two nights ago we had thunderstorms in the area. When I opened the sleeping (?) computer, I was presented with a Macrium Reflect V6.1.1366 - Windows 10 PE screen.

I have never seen this beast before. It has replaced the Win Task Bar with its own. All I can do is hit the MR icon where the Wiin 10 start button used to reside. This reboots back into the same screen. I can't get into Safe Mode,as there is no Win Start button. I tried Shift+MR icon, but no difference. About the only options offered by MR, was a rewrite of the boot record. I feel my skill level is too far below what's required for that.

I'm sure, I'll be amazed at what you suggest for the emancipation of my beloved new toy.

Reaction score
Tell us how you migrated in detail. I believe there is more to be learned so write us a step by step.

Reaction score
1) Tues afternoon, May 23, I installed PCMover on both systems,

2) Studying the instructions, and making decisions on what was to be migrated and what as to be abandoned took several hours.

3) The system estimated it would take approximately 6 hours to migrate

4) At the 10 hour mark, the count of bytes being migrated was still accumulating.

5) After another hour observing with no real change, I contacted PCMover Tech Sppt in Manila.

6)They took control of my system for about 2 hours, and then restarted the migration at what appeared to be the same location

7) After an hour of observation, Tech Sppt signed off

8)Tthe migration took another 6 hours to complete

9) Moved the new computer to another location on Thursday

10) All the tested apps worked, with a small bit of cosmetic tweaking, Friday evening

11) Satursay morning: Disaster

12) Saturday and Sunday was spent on a laptop doing research on the problem.

Reaction score
BTW, another desktop and a laptop survived the storm with no problems All three operate wirelessly.
BTW #2, It may seem like two weeks ago, but it has been less than a week

Reaction score
You do have Macrium Reflect installed.
That view you are seeing is the Macrium Restoral Windows.
The button you make reference to is the "close and restart button" after a successful restoral.
When you press that button it should restart.

Why else might this happening?
You have a Macrium Rescue disc or USB drive inserted and the boot order has been changed.
A Macrium Advanced Startup entry was added to the boot order and made first choice.
Your primary boot selection is either corrupted or it has been changed to boot Macrium first choice.

So, how do I fix this?
First recommendation is to go back to the people that did the migration.
(Maybe Win Update got hosed because they didn't do the migration correctly?)
Use Macrium to try and ix your boot record (see Fix Boot in the manual):
http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v6/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v6_user_guide.pdf

Please understand I am not implying your boot record is the primary source of corruption but it could be.
(Use at your own risk)

Good luck,

Wargamer

Reaction score
You do have Macrium Reflect installed.
That view you are seeing is the Macrium Restoral Windows.
The button you make reference to is the "close and restart button" after a successful restoral.
When you press that button it should restart.

Why else might this happening?
You have a Macrium Rescue disc or USB drive inserted and the boot order has been changed.
A Macrium Advanced Startup entry was added to the boot order and made first choice.
Your primary boot selection is either corrupted or it has been changed to boot Macrium first choice.

So, how do I fix this?
First recommendation is to go back to the people that did the migration.
(Maybe Win Update got hosed because they didn't do the migration correctly?)
Use Macrium to try and ix your boot record (see Fix Boot in the manual):
http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v6/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v6_user_guide.pdf

Please understand I am not implying your boot record is the primary source of corruption but it could be.
(Use at your own risk)

Good luck,

Wargamer

Reaction score
I have never installed Macrium Reflect on any computer. What the Manila Tech Sppt did in their two hours of control I have no idea, but it could could have included that action.

Right now, I have a rather expensive HP boat anchor taking up space on my desk. Am I likely to cause more irreparable damage following Macrium's fix to the boot record than exists now?

I will contact PCMover,as you suggest. What is the probability that a GOOD local techie could restore my system before or after my attempts to manipulate the boot record?

Reaction score
I have never installed Macrium Reflect on any computer. What the Manila Tech Sppt did in their two hours of control I have no idea, but it could could have included that action.

I never stated you knowingly installed it; howver, I did state you have it installed.

Right now, I have a rather expensive HP boat anchor taking up space on my desk. Am I likely to cause more irreparable damage following Macrium's fix to the boot record than exists now?

That is exactly why I said "Use at your own risk." The problem is we have no idea what they did so we can't provide a targeted solution because everything is unknown at this time.

I will contact PCMover,as you suggest. What is the probability that a GOOD local techie could restore my system before or after my attempts to manipulate the boot record?

The right move is to contact PCMover and let them fix it.

I doubt that a local tech will have an easy fix without running the chance of having to do a clean install.

Just my opinion.

Good luck,

Wargamer

Reaction score
just my opinion:
since your computer is already messed up, there may be an option to do a factory reset. Do this only if you still have your previous computer in good working condition.
To migrate your files just copy and paste. I would suggest re-installing any program/app you need instead of using so-called "movers" (I am not a friend of those). This may cause much more work but it will be worth it at the end.

Reaction score
Hey, Wargamer, you have been most cooperative and useful. I was thinking you darkened the H*** out of my holiday weekend, but how could one darken the black hole that I've already created.

I have decided the risk is far too great for me to fiddle around with the boot record, and will also pass on hiring a local Techie. I will now contact PCMover. I will also cross-post this problem to the Macrium forum on the off chance they have a solution.

he specter of a Clean Install has been hovering in my mind for the last few hours.

I thank the messenger, and will not shoot him.

Reaction score
Grizzly -

Thanks for your suggestion. In my despair, I could only think of the Clean Install solution.

As of this morning, I concur with your comments on "Movers".

Ask a Question