how to check unused space on external hard drive

BEH

Reaction score
I'd like to check the unused space on an external hard drive but when I right click on it the 'properties' displays only the disk capacity.
Anyone help with what settings I have to change to be able to display the unused space ?

thanks

Reaction score
I have a USB external drive. When I open File explorer is shows all my drives including the external and their free space. I have File explorer view set to 'this pc'. If I open that drive and right click for properties and see total and free space.

Reaction score
From the Windows Desktop, click the Start button to open the Start menu or press the shortcut keys Windows Key + X to open the Power User Task menu.
In the Start menu or Power User Task menu, select File Explorer.
In the File Explorer window, on the left navigation pane, click on This PC.
After selecting This PC, you will see each drive with a small percentage bar of how much disk space is being used, as well as a description of how much is free and the total disk space. If you need additional information, right-click the drive and select Properties.

Reaction score
Strange how we all see differences in File Explorer.
Nowhere do I see the percentage bar as trimful mentioned.
When I open File Explorer, It shows what Tim explains, however, If I hover the mouse over the drives, it will also show used and free disk space. Right > Properties also displays the same.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nowhere do I see the percentage bar as trimful mentioned.
Perhaps he was talking about this

Capture.PNG

I'm pretty sure, again..... it depends on your "View" settings.
Mine is set to "Tiles"

Reaction score
Trouble I'm embarrassed again.:rolleyes:
Ever since I owned a PC, my view settings has always been Medium Icons. Yes tiles does show the used/free space, just hovering the mouse over tiles shows the same. Learned something new Again!

Reaction score
I think the older we get we loose interest (Stay in our comfort zone) in exploring a PC's potential like the kids do. Kids don't ponder over what a setting may do, they just go ahead and click it. They never give the consequences or what if's a thought. LOL

Reaction score
I'd like to check the unused space on an external hard drive but when I right click on it the 'properties' displays only the disk capacity.
Anyone help with what settings I have to change to be able to display the unused space ?

thanks
Press Windows key and R key at the same time to launch Run box. Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter key to open Disk Management. I'm sure you will have a clear visualization of your hard disk status.

Ask a Question