How to convert Mini DV tapes into mp4 files?

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Mini DV video tapes from an old camcorder, and I'd like to transfer them all to my computer. What is the best way to convert them into mp4 files?

Reaction score
There is not a good way to do this, but the easiest is probably the following. Trust me when I say capturing with a computer can be a pain in the ass.
  • First you will need a way of playing the tapes, such as your old Camcorder.
  • Second you will need a way to capture the video such as a DVD Recorder.
  • Third but not least, you will need a way for them to communicate, even if that requires some kind of converter box. Basically if your Camcorder is RCA only and your Recorder is HDMI only, you will be required to convert the signal.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the old camcorder still works, but I will look at it to see if it still does. Is there a mini DV player that just outputs analog video?
Look around you might find a player that is not for parts or repair. You might have to pay $100 or more to get it though.
You can try it but we've not had much luck using those capture devices for PC.

Reaction score
I checked, and I'm nor sure if my camcorder even works, and I no longer have any of the accessories, like the charger or the RCA output cable. Would the analog output be in the full definition of the recording? Should I just buy a camcorder on eBay that can output the video? That capture device has good reviews, so I'm probably going to try it.

Reaction score
What kind of camera did you make these tapes?? MiniDV is usually an digital recording so your camera has to have a digital port already (either USB or Firewire). Bottom line is a converter would not be needed. If you use a converter the quality will diminish quite a bit cause you convert from digital to analog in the camera and back to digital again in the converter.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the old camcorder still works, but I will look at it to see if it still does. Is there a mini DV player that just outputs analog video? I found this capture device: https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-analog-iPhone/dp/B0029U2YSA
I've not heard of that particular brand......but I have for "Dazzle" by Pinnacle and have used it as I have one. To do exactly what you want to do but about 15 years ago. It was cumbersome to use at first (a lot of stuff to learn), but after getting used to it it worked pretty darn good.

https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd/

Reaction score
Yes Roxio has a capture program and device that worked well if you can find one of the older versions Corel bought them out a few years ago and the program has gone to crap for video recording and producing them back to DVD or MP4 files.

Reaction score
of course you realize there are shops that will make these conversions for you most have reasonable prices especially if you value your own time. Trust me hours are involved per Mini DV tape to make the conversions with out professional equipment

Reaction score
I've not heard of that particular brand......but I have for "Dazzle" by Pinnacle and have used it as I have one. To do exactly what you want to do but about 15 years ago. It was cumbersome to use at first (a lot of stuff to learn), but after getting used to it it worked pretty darn good.

https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd/

do they still exist?? My old company made addon components for ///FAST before they were split up in Pinnacle and another company (don't remember the name). They were good Hard and software. I still have my AV-Master and my SMII (ofc they are now outdated by a long shot).

Reaction score
What kind of camera did you make these tapes?? MiniDV is usually an digital recording so your camera has to have a digital port already (either USB or Firewire). Bottom line is a converter would not be needed. If you use a converter the quality will diminish quite a bit cause you convert from digital to analog in the camera and back to digital again in the converter.
It is a JVC GRD372U. It has a mini USB and a FireWire port, but I think only the FireWire port can be used to capture the video, because the camera could also record on an SD card. I guess I could get a FireWire PCIe card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is a JVC GRD372U. It has a mini USB and a FireWire port, but I think only the FireWire port can be used to capture the video, because the camera could also record on an SD card. I guess I could get a FireWire PCIe card.
the usb port is usually used for transferring the pictures taken on the sd card but also to remotely control the camera (with the appropriate software). Firewire is used to transfer the video from the tape.
The reason for my post above was actually saying that you do not need a converter to get the signal to your computer. I think a firewire addon card will be the best solution although you will need a recording software.

Reaction score
do they still exist?? My old company made addon components for ///FAST before they were split up in Pinnacle and another company (don't remember the name). They were good Hard and software. I still have my AV-Master and my SMII (ofc they are now outdated by a long shot).
Yes I still have mine too, but they never were able to use HDMI and I let the software go out of date not sure wether the hardware converter will run in windows 10 or not haven't tried.

Reaction score
Yes I still have mine too, but they never were able to use HDMI and I let the software go out of date not sure wether the hardware converter will run in windows 10 or not haven't tried.
I tried my AVMaster on Windows 7 and up, it did not work. The hardware was recognized but the software failed to install (it was made for Windows NT anyway). The SMII is just collecting dust as none of my PC have an EISA Port anymore....
Aahh those memories.....

back to Topic though....

Reaction score
here is some video of how its done.
I tried my AVMaster on Windows 7 and up, it did not work. The hardware was recognized but the software failed to install (it was made for Windows NT anyway). The SMII is just collecting dust as none of my PC have an EISA Port anymore....
Aahh those memories.....

back to Topic though....
Yes I was using Roxio to capture and convert, but that program got flakey on windows 7 and nearly impossible on 8 Corel bought them out but it seems they aren't putting in money into making the program actually work I quite buying with Nxt 3, its been a long time since I have to capture DV and convert it to any recordable format

Reaction score
Sorry wasn't reading the post properly i used windows movie maker to capture from the camcorder to the PC then converted them using Handbrake

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Mini DV video tapes from an old camcorder, and I'd like to transfer them all to my computer. What is the best way to convert them into mp4 files?
Eu arrumei um jeito comprei uma placa Fireware 1394 e com um video do yutube que me enviaram configurei minha camera antiga pra mostrar os video pro PC, mas só captura em VAi ou MPG2 eos video ficam enorme media de 3,6 giga por dcada 30 minutos
]

Ask a Question