How to name photos in Win 10?

Reaction score
OK...posting here as the other categories may/may not apply...hope answers will come even if in 'wrong category'.

How do I name or change the name of photos in Win 10? Some online info suggests going to EDIT--drop to Rename. Not to work. Must have Rename location to use it!

Right clicks or left ones....neither provide answers.

Thanks for all helps!! Betts....

Reaction score
Betts I don't fully understand your question.
I think you mean renaming stored photos in the MS Photo app album, if so, I have no idea how to rename them I have never used the app. Maybe Microsoft have more work to do on that app. You should find the same photo's in your pictures folder.
Type "Pictures" in the search box, open picture folder right click on saved photo's and select "Rename" The photo app I believe just shows the date saved to the library folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need to make the changes to the actual file in Pictures or wherever you've stored your photos.

Reaction score
Betts I don't fully understand your question.
I think you mean renaming stored photos in the MS Photo app album, if so, I have no idea how to rename them I have never used the app. Maybe Microsoft have more work to do on that app. You should find the same photo's in your pictures folder.
Type "Pictures" in the search box, open picture folder right click on saved photo's and select "Rename" The photo app I believe just shows the date saved to the library folder.

Thanks, Joanne and Norton: I'm replying to you both in this post. I feel so facile with computers until I get to photos!! And then. Then...I need help!! To review what I have done--as I think I'm much before what you are asking me about. Info below is written in baby-steps, as that's what I have to do for my picture-work. More thanks to you both....Betts
  1. I took pictures.
  2. I transferred pictures to PHOTOS (microsoft-windows10).
  3. I view pictures in PHOTOS as in small 'icons' on grid.
  4. Can also view pictures in PHOTOS as individual pictures. 4-b) I then can move forward/backward through these pictures. [could use slide show, yet that's not what I want to do.]
  5. I want to name the pix. I look for place to name them. Or a drop-down menu. I look LOTS of places. Nothing.
  6. I go to Microsoft 'Help/Forum'.
  7. I try several options from Help/Forum...inc the suggestion to use 'Rename' button. I see no such button...and no drop-down that has 'Rename'.
  8. I think...this is such an easy, normal request. What's the reason it is so hard to do--or elusive?
  9. I discover this Windows10 Forum. Yay... I join & post.
  10. I'm excited.
  11. Two answers...ah....this is good.
  12. Wherever my pictures are stored...okaaaaa. They're stored in the place the computer transferred them. That's #2 above.
  13. Am I supposed to store them somewhere else?? If yes...what does that kinda/sorta mean?
  14. Hoping for clarification, answer soon! BIG thanks again!

Reaction score
Betts pictures are usually stored in you user picture folder.
In the search box at the bottom left of your screen type "Saved Pictures"
The pop-up results page you will see "Saved Pictures File Folder"
Click on the folder it should contain your saved pictures.
Right click on any picture and from the options choose "Rename"

Alternative method
1.Double Click on "This PC" on the desktop, you will see six folders.
2 Double Click on the "Pictures Folder, it will display all of your saved pictures.
3.Right click on a picture to rename.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Betts pictures are usually stored in you user picture folder.
In the search box at the bottom left of your screen type "Saved Pictures"
The pop-up results page you will see "Saved Pictures File Folder"
Click on the folder it should contain your saved pictures.
Right click on any picture and from the options choose "Rename"

Alternative method
1.Double Click on "This PC" on the desktop, you will see six folders.
2 Double Click on the "Pictures Folder, it will display all of your saved pictures.
3.Right click on a picture to rename.

Thanks, Norton...I'll be more clear about your response tomorrow (at least I hope I'm more clear!). Well, maybe I'm more clear now. Norton is a genius!! He found what I needed to find.

Would your 1st suggestion (in the search box at the bottom left....etc) lead me to the same place? That hot pink window with 4 panes has been vastly modified since I 1st got Win 10. It no longer has 'Saved Pictures'. How could I put 'Saved Pictures' File Folder back on that list??

More thanks for figuring how/what to tell me which works GREAT!!

Reaction score
I should lead you to "That hot pink window" whatever that is; I think you mean the Microsoft photo app.
In the search box type "Photos" and it will lead you to the MS store photo app. The app should contain the contents from your stored Picture folder? I'm not sure I don't use the app, It's just not for me. I just prefer going to my pictures folder and managing from there.

Reaction score
You can simplify it even more, for future use. Under you username, create a new folder called "Pictures" (What else!!) From then on, you can save to, an access them, from any valid picture application on your computer, Even the built in "Paint"

Reaction score
I should lead you to "That hot pink window" whatever that is; I think you mean the Microsoft photo app.
In the search box type "Photos" and it will lead you to the MS store photo app. The app should contain the contents from your stored Picture folder? I'm not sure I don't use the app, It's just not for me. I just prefer going to my pictures folder and managing from there.
Still genius! Agree with you that the place to name/label pictures and/or files is the Pictures file, found under File Explorer---This computer---etc. It works. Thank you

Meanwhile The Hot Pink Window leads me to ALL APPS. From All Apps I do find: the MS Store Photo App. I open MS Store Photo App. Yes, it does have all my pictures. It's the pictures & location which I'd been working with. However, there's no way to name pictures in the MS Photos file. Tis what lead me to the windows10 forum.

Soooo Pictures folder, managing from there is THE answer. Much appreciation...for dialogue and for good helps!

Reaction score
You can simplify it even more, for future use. Under you username, create a new folder called "Pictures" (What else!!) From then on, you can save to, an access them, from any valid picture application on your computer, Even the built in "Paint"
Thanks for additional tip, Dave. Think that has already been done...either by me (in an unknowing wayo_O) or by Microsoft...

Reaction score
OK...posting here as the other categories may/may not apply...hope answers will come even if in 'wrong category'.

How do I name or change the name of photos in Win 10? Some online info suggests going to EDIT--drop to Rename. Not to work. Must have Rename location to use it!

Right clicks or left ones....neither provide answers.

Thanks for all helps!! Betts....

Well you can use your photo program or Windows File Explorer and selected rename when you right click on the file name.

Ask a Question