Change device names on Nighthawk router

Reaction score
I have a model R7000 Netgear (Nighthawk) router. Several of the wired and wireless device attached to my router
either have incorrect name or no name at all. I have tried editing them but they just return to the previous name.

What am I doing wrong. Windows 10

Thanks

Reaction score
I don't have a solution but a question, are the devices connected to the Router via an Ethernet cable or are some using Wireless/Wi-Fi? There's usually only 4 Ethernet ports on a Wireless Router, mine has 4 but I had to add an 8-port Switch to get more. If many are using Wireless could be they are neighbors' devices being picked up, I see up to 8 'foreign' devices on my list of available wireless networks but they are all secured.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically network nodes connected to network concentrators like hubs, switches and or router / switch combos broadcast "friendly names" (via NetBIOS) for easy identification.

I don't know where you are seeing these "incorrect name or no name at all"
Could be in your devices list of DHCP clients or under a list of "connected devices"
Generally these are not editable on the network device but need to be corrected at the source.

You should see an IP address associated with the problem name.
Find that device and determine the NetBIOS name and edit that on that node so it broadcasts the name you desire.

Reaction score
I don't have a solution but a question, are the devices connected to the Router via an Ethernet cable or are some using Wireless/Wi-Fi? There's usually only 4 Ethernet ports on a Wireless Router, mine has 4 but I had to add an 8-port Switch to get more. If many are using Wireless could be they are neighbors' devices being picked up, I see up to 8 'foreign' devices on my list of available wireless networks but they are all secured.

Wireless and ethernet. I got some of them connected but can't figure out what the ones left are.

Ask a Question