How to remove monitor's black borders after installing win 10

Reaction score
After win10's installation my external monitor has black borders.

This was happening also with win7 after installation. with catalyst control center [which I cannot open anymore in win 10 :-(...as I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 which is not supported] I could easily fix the issue:

- open Catalyst Control Center
- go to My Digital Flat-Panels
- choose Scaling Options
- slide the slider all the way to the right (so that it is a 0%)

So, this is a monitor scaling options (or border padding I think in windows) issue that I need to fix. I search everywhere but I cannot find any fix in win10.

My apologies if this is not the right place where to post my question. If this is the case, or if the question is already answered, please let me know where should I go to find an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Gian

Reaction score
Any suggestion on this?

I also tried auto adjust on my monitor OSD but guess what? It's greyed.

This is annoying. Windows should have made clear what was supported or not, if that is the case because I cannot use catalyst control center.

Also, I'm just so surprised that there's no fix for something so trivial like adjusting/scaling my monitor's borders

Thank you again for your help.

Gian

Reaction score
After win10's installation my external monitor has black borders.

This was happening also with win7 after installation. with catalyst control center [which I cannot open anymore in win 10 :-(...as I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 which is not supported] I could easily fix the issue:

- open Catalyst Control Center
- go to My Digital Flat-Panels
- choose Scaling Options
- slide the slider all the way to the right (so that it is a 0%)

So, this is a monitor scaling options (or border padding I think in windows) issue that I need to fix. I search everywhere but I cannot find any fix in win10.

My apologies if this is not the right place where to post my question. If this is the case, or if the question is already answered, please let me know where should I go to find an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Gian
What model monitor are you using? Maybe it is being identified as a TV.

What is the screen resolution that you have set Windows to? If it is smaller than your monitor native screen size then you may end up with the borders. Set it to a higher value. My monitor uses 1920x1080 natively.

Reaction score
Monitor: Dell S2440L 24" full HD 1080p

Resolution is set to 1920x1080 which is the native resolution of my monitor.

Where can I see if my monitor has been identified as a tv and how can I change that if that is the case?

Thanks for your help guys. Hope to fix it soon as it is annoying. Also, movies when I go full screen get the same black borders.

Gian

Reaction score
Right click desktop -> Display settings -> Advanced display settings -> Display adapter properties ->Monitor tab

If it looks OK there, then I would say you have a driver issue and need to find a way to get to the ATI control panel to change the panel scaling.

Does your monitor offer a scaling option? That might be the quick fix.

Reaction score
It looks fine there. It's set as Generic pnp monitor. The ATI Catalyst Pro Control Center does not open. and the new driver does not work with my ATI mobility radeon HD 4670.

I think the monitor used to have a scaling option (if auto adjust in the OSD menu was such an option, which I actually never used as I used to scale with CCC) but now when I click on menu the auto adjust function is greyed and cannot be used. I cannot say for sure if it was always greyed as in fact I never used it before.

How can I get to the ATI control panel if CCC does not function anymore?

Reaction score
Any news on this? No fix available? Can anybody at least confirm to me that If I run win10 in my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 I cannot install a compatible CCC and therefore I cannot adjust screen's borders of my external monitor? I'm really surprised that there's no windows fix for this. If this is the case at least I can go back to 7 or buy a new graphic card.

Thank you again for your help.

Gian

Reaction score
If it's being listed as a generic pnp monitor, then it's not properly being detected (thus you may not be able to use any of the monitors functions). Also, without CCC support, you're at the mercy of the generic graphics driver.

Reaction score
my bad (I was looking at the laptop monitor), It is actually properly detected as Dell S2440L (HDMI).

So this means that there's no fix for adjusting/scaling screen's borders in windows 10?

Thanks

Gian

Reaction score
I has the same problem and it turned out to be my video card driver.
I updated the driver and all issues with my "monitor " were resolved.

Reaction score

Ask a Question