SOLVED HP Pavilion 15-ab030tx laptop. Shift-quote key combo not working

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home latest version. I have a USA standard keyboard (I purchased the laptop in India in 2015).

When my keyboard was working I would press "Shift - single quote" to get the double quote character. For some reason this key combo is now not working. Now when I press "Shift - single quote" I get nothing. When I press the single quote key that works fine; for example ' ' ' ' '

I downloaded and ran the HP Diagnostic tool and ran the keyboard diagnostic and it said my keyboard was fine. But the tool didn’t have a way to test key combos.

Any ideas how to fix this problem? I have to now jump thru some hoops to get the double quote character to appear.

PS: I checked and the keyboard driver is up to date.

Reaction score
which shift key are you using (left or right)? does it work with neither??
do other key work with the shift key?? like : ? < > !@#$ etc....(this is not me cursing btw )

Reaction score
which shift key are you using (left or right)? does it work with neither?? do other key work with the shift key?? like : ? < > !@#$ etc..

Neither shift key works to give the double quote. To give the full story, there's a number of key combos that don't work on my keyboard, but they all have easy work-arounds. The only one that doesn't have an easy work-around is getting the double quote character. For example Left-Shift-C does not work to give a capital C. But Right-Shift-C does give a capital C. There's a number of other examples like this. The double quote character is only one with no work-around.

When I hit Left-Shift-Single quote nothing happens, no character appears. Same with Right-Shift-Single quote.

Left-Shift does not give < or >. Right-Shift does. Plus other example like this.

Any ideas? I'm focusing on getting the double quote to work. I'm ignoring the other issues for now. If there's a way to fix the whole keyboard, that would be great. Thanks! My laptop is 5 yrs old. These keyboard problems started about a year ago.

!@#$ etc....(this is not me cursing btw )

:D:) lol

Reaction score
Hi,

open Settings > Time & Language > Language > Select your language and Options then check what keyboard is set there!. Add/Remove where necessary!. :)

1590988729565.png

1590988760928.png

Reaction score
I already tried this. My only keybd layout was US Standard. I replaced the US Standard keybd layout with others and tested and no change. The keys that aren't working still don't work with the other keybd layouts.

I use the Win-V key combo to get double quotes. It works but it's a pain in the butt to do it that way. My laptop is 5 yrs old anyway, so the problem will get fixed when I get a new laptop.

I also tried different keyboard key remappers and they didn't work.

Reaction score
You said you got the laptop from India?, did you try the Indian KB language variants when you add a KB!. :)

Reaction score
You said you got the laptop from India?, did you try the Indian KB language variants when you add a KB!. :)

From the very beginning I've only used the default kybd layout that came with the new laptop. Never changed it. But I did just now switch to English (India) kybd layout. No change, problem still there.

Here's the screenshot from the kybd event viewer. Pressed left shift key, then right shift key, then left quote key, then right shift + single quote key. As you can see, when I hold down shift key (5 & 6, then 7 & 8) and press single quote key, it's like the press of the single quote key doesn't register at all. But when I only press the single quote key, it registers fine, as you can see. Any ideas?

2020 06 01 kybd event viewer screenshot.jpg
shift + single

Reaction score
Looks like I got it fixed. I installed ShortKeys Lite and created a little kybd macro to enter in the double quote character “. It’s not a true fix, just an easy work-around. Good enough for an old laptop. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Ask a Question