SOLVED Booting w10 on HP Pavilion

Reaction score
When I turn on my HP Pavilion from the power-off state to start Windows 10, the machine always stops dead halfway through the boot up sequence. If I power down and start it up a second time it always comes up fine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I turn on my HP Pavilion from the power-off state
I'm wondering if "the power-off state" is truly "power off" as in shut down completely or if it is in some type of energy saving mode, sleep, hibernate, hybrid sleep.
Try this
Right click the windows logo and choose Command prompt (admin)
Type
shutdown /s /t 00
hit enter, give it a minute and see if it shut down completely.
Then try to restart it from there.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if "the power-off state" is truly "power off" as in shut down completely or if it is in some type of energy saving mode, sleep, hibernate, hybrid sleep.
Try this
Right click the windows logo and choose Command prompt (admin)
Type
shutdown /s /t 00
hit enter, give it a minute and see if it shut down completely.
Then try to restart it from there.

Thanks, Trouble, your suggestion led me to at least a work-around. I created a new shortcut with a target of your command line and shutdown from there is effective and reliable. Apparently the standard sequence of Start, Power, Shutdown does not work on the HP Pavilion. (I did check the settings which tell me that it should shut down).

Ask a Question