SOLVED HTML images not showing in the reading pane of Microsoft Outlook 2016

Reaction score
I have asked this question in the Microsoft community, too, but someone may know the answer to this problem here.

I recently reset a spare Windows 10 laptop of mine as it started running inefficiently. I eventually reinstalled Microsoft Outlook 2016 Home & Business and all my accounts. However, I realised that the reading panes on the right-hand side of an email did not show HTML images. There were just white spaces there instead of where the images should be.

I don’t know if this is related, but the thumbnail images on YouTube also don’t show and are just blanked out. It also looks like YouTube is not refreshing each time.

Things I have tried already to remedy the problem that did not work.

1. In Outlook 2016, File > Options > Trust Centre > Trust Centre Settings > Automatic Download | Unchecked ‘Don’t download pictures automatically on standard HTML email messages or RSS items.’

2. I also tried in Outlook by clicking on the VIEW tab

Then I clicked on the RESET VIEW, on the left-hand side of the ribbon. Tested the reading pane, but the problem was still there.

Then I clicked on VIEW SETTINGS > OTHER SETTINGS > and where it said READING PANE, selected OFF. The options were RIGHT, BOTTOM, and OFF.

Then I clicked OK > OK to close the settings boxes.
I repeated the above process 1 -3 but selected the RIGHT (my preference) reading pane.

Has anyone else got any idea what I should try or why this is not working? Thank you.

HB

Reaction score
I have fixed this problem by doing further research on the subject.

I should have reworded the problem. Instead of putting my title as 'HTML images not showing in the reading pane of Microsoft Outlook 2016,' I rephrased it below. I hope this may be helpful to anyone who shares this problem down the line. Enjoy!

Pictures Don't Display in Outlook Messages

Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016

1. Click the New Email button or press Ctrl+N while viewing the Inbox.

2. Go to the new message's File, Options dialogue.

3. Click Mail, then Editor Options.

4. Select Advanced and look near the bottom of the dialogue for the option to Show Picture Placeholders.

5. Uncheck the box to Show picture placeholders.

6. Close the dialogue, then close the message.

Pictures Don't Display in Outlook Messages (slipstick.com)

HB

Ask a Question