I'm unable to change sign-in using settings, Screen just freezes

Reaction score
When I go to settings, Accounts, and click on Sign-in Options I get no response when I click nor do any of the other options work after that. I can only click the X in the upper right corner and close the page. I am running as administrator. Also, if I go to settings, main page and type in Sign-in options in the search box the whole page becomes unusable. I can only exit with the X. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 which was just installed. The problem was occurring before this update. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
The only suggestion, in those circumstances, is a totally fresh install, using the media creation tool to obtain the latest build.

Reaction score
Dave, thanks for your reply. I was hoping I didn't have to do that. I'll wait awhile and see if anyone has an easier answer.
Frank.

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 which was just installed. The problem was occurring before this update. Any suggestions?
It's always a mistake to upgrade a system you already know to contain issues.

I'm with @davehc, a clean install will be your fastest and most reliable way to a healthy system.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, ubuysa. I agree, updating software when you have a problem can be counter productive, but with windows I just hope they have fixed it. It didn't happen this time, but I do have the latest version now when I make my new boot stick.
Thanks, Frank

Reaction score
An alternative to a reinstall, I've had success a few times when needed by being logged on as the User with Administrative Rights, create a new User [slightly different name] with Local Account with Administrative Rights without password, reboot and choose the new account then remove the old one saving documents/data.

Or if needing the Microsoft Account could keep both, have the choice at the login screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Bighorn. I have a lot of photo and video editing software connected my log-in. Wouldn't replacing that log-in with a new one mean I have to reconnect everything to it? That's sort of like doing a clean install isn't it?
I appreciate the help,
Frank

Reaction score
If you originally installed programs as an Administrator [usually the default setup] then adding a User as an Administrator shouldn't affect that, will have nearly all the same rights. Removing the original User later could affect things like passwords for Web sites, etc., so would be good to have a backup or record of those first. Adding a new User as a Standard account will cause issues, can't do a lot of things an Administrator can. I've installed with either a Microsoft Account with Administrator rights and gone back later to add a Local Account with Administrator rights or other way around, Local first then add the Microsoft.

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, Bighorn.
When I go to settings, Accounts, and click on Sign-in Options I get no response when I click nor do any of the other options work after that. I can only click the X in the upper right corner and close the page. I am running as administrator. Also, if I go to settings, main page and type in Sign-in options in the search box the whole page becomes unusable. I can only exit with the X. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 which was just installed. The problem was occurring before this update. Any suggestions?
I have spent some more time looking at what may be happening and discovered that the system returns to the Sign-in Options page after a delay of about 1-1/2 minutes. It is very repeatable. It also takes the same time when getting to the sign-in page from the search box. I have not found anything explaining the delay. I have some guesses such as the system went on-line to check my credentials and password or some similiar thing. Wish they had told me so.

Reaction score
Well! I bit the bullet and did a clean install. Wow! The sign-in option worked as it should.....for about two weeks. Now back to the same minute and a half delay. I guess its just one of those things, or I have something slowing down I my Internet access to Microsoft. My only guess is something I reinstalled is causing the delay. All I have is McAfee security software, supplied by my Internet provider, Firefox, Thunderbird, Nero, Corel Paintshop Pro, Garmin Basecamp, Audacity, Adobe Acrobat, Open Office, and my Epson Printer and scanner software. I also have Net-watcher monitoring my home network. All of the above were installed right after the clean install except Garmin Basecamp which i just installed. I didn't check the problem before installing this last so could that be it? To me, highly unlikely. All the Apps above I have used for years and have not had any problem before and all are up-to-date.
Any suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
The very first thing I would suggest is to remove McAffe. Third party anti-malware tools cause all sorts of problems......

Reaction score
Maybe you should examine your default download folder
I only have one download folder. I'm not sure why it would delay the sign-in setting.
The very first thing I would suggest is to remove McAffe. Third party anti-malware tools cause all sorts of problems......
McAfee is provide to me by my Internet Service Provider at no cost. I like it and have used it for years with no problem. After I reinstalled McAfee after my fresh install of Win 10, all was OK. I'm still looking.

Reaction score
well, my first suggestion of a clean install worked, but, as you have said yourself, it then failed again so it is, very obviously, somethig you are subsequently installing.

This bit intrigues me " or I have something slowing down I my Internet access to Microsoft" Why that comment? Are you signed in with an MS account or other?
What are you using - finger print; facial..etc.

I would go into the startup panel and disable all of the third party software you have installed - including Mcafee. Re-enable one by one.

By the way, If you wish to use Mcafee, it is not disputable. But third party antivirus is seen on forums to have numerous conflictions with the built in Defender and, fwiw, Defender is rated higher than Mcafee by the statistic boffins.

Reaction score
By the way, If you wish to use Mcafee, it is not disputable. But third party antivirus is seen on forums to have numerous conflictions with the built in Defender and, fwiw, Defender is rated higher than Mcafee by the statistic boffins.
FWIW I can remember at least two BSODs that I have diagnosed for people that could be clearly laid at the door of McAffe. I've also diagnosed many others that were caused the other third-party anti-malware tools.

@Much2Much, it may well not be McAffe, we just don't know. But as @davehc has mentioned, it does seem to be something you have installed....

Ask a Question