IMAP password problem

Reaction score
After windows 10 loaded I tried to log into my outlook email account. A box opened and asked for my imap password, I typed in my email password and it was not accepted. I have no idea what my imap password was when I setup outlook. Is there anyway I can find my password or there a way to bypass this?
JimJr

Reaction score
Not sure if I am using Windows Mail app. My mail provider is google. Will try going to google and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

Reaction score
After windows 10 loaded I tried to log into my outlook email account. A box opened and asked for my imap password, I typed in my email password and it was not accepted. I have no idea what my imap password was when I setup outlook. Is there anyway I can find my password or there a way to bypass this?
JimJr

Not sure if I am using Windows Mail app. My mail provider is google. Will try going to google and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

I am confused. Are you using outlook.com as email account or gmail.com?? both can do IMAP.
which program/app are you using to check your emails??

Reaction score
I am using gmail.com because outlook.com stopped working when Windows 10 loaded. When I try to log into outlook I can see my last 2016 emails but I get the box wanting my imap password.

Reaction score
Do you have two-step authentication on your MS account?
If so then you may need an app specific password when using your account under Gmail.

Reaction score
Can you clarify your problem? I read it to be that you’re downloading your Microsoft account email to your Gmail.com email client - that you’re downloading your MS emails via Gmail.com.

Reaction score
I used Outlook to receive my email for a long time. Windows 10 loaded. I try to sign into outlook, my 2016 emails show up, when I try to download or send emails I rec a box asking me to log in with my imap password which I don't have or remember when I set my accounts up. I have no problems with my gmail account going through google. My wife and I use these accounts with no problem. I want outlook as I prefer it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Windows 10 loaded
I'm confused as to what you mean by this. You've stated this twice and still there is no clarification on the meaning.

I try to sign into outlook, my 2016 emails show up,
Again....confused as heck.....2016 emails. The whole year of 2017 is missing?

asking me to log in with my imap password
Never heard of such a thing. I know that web email services use an email protocol that is called IMAP. IMAP - or Internet Message Access Protocol.
https://whatismyipaddress.com/imap

As outlook.com and gmail are web based email services.....you need to check your account settings in both and compare as to what is checked in gmail vs outlook. Also what browsers do you use to check your emails?

Reaction score
Are you using outlook.com, Outlook email client (part of office or Windows 10 mail to download your messages?
If outlook or Win 10 mail & you’re trying to download your Microsoft account mail do you use two-step authentication on your MS account?
Have you gone to your MS account & chosen forgot password?

Reaction score
Go to Outlook.com. You will get prompted to enter email and hit next. There you can hit forget password. MS will send you a code through your phone or another email. Once you enter the code it will let you change PW.

Ask a Question