Inconsistent DPI Scaling when resuming from sleep

Reaction score
I'm running an XPS 15 with a 4k LCD. Windows 10 recommends 200% DPI scaling on my display, but that is just a little to high for me. I'm much more comfortable at 150% or 175%. 200% is just too large and I lose the advantage of a high resolution display.
What I find is that when I'm using the "Recommended" scaling option of 200%, everything works normally, but when I scale to something smaller like 150% I get some strange things happening. It only seems to happen when resuming from sleep.

When I resume from sleep, some apps (and it seems to be Microsoft apps in particular) get messed up. It starts with the lock screen. I resume from sleep and my lock screen image is the same size it would be if it were scaled at the "recommended" 200% level, but it is overlaid on top of my actual password screen which is displayed at the configured 150%. That means that there is space outside the lock screen image that is visible from behind it. It looks really weird.

Secondly, Outlook, Word, OneNote, etc do the same. The window THINKS it is still full screen, but it is only using 75% of the screen. If I un-dock it from full screen and dock it back, it fills the screen properly, but it wont do it on its own. It is almost as if it wants to be scaled at 200% and that is what it defaults to after resuming from sleep. I have to remind the application that it should be viewed at the configured 150%.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? I know it is a silly issue, but it drives me insane!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Strangely enough, this seems to be more of an issue if the laptop has been sleeping for a while. I have been trying to get a screenshot to show an example, and if I close the lid and re-open it right away, the lock screen shows up as I'm describing, and then fixes itself within about a second. I can't get it to keep consistently. But if my laptop has been in the bag for a while, it seems to stick. I'll post a screenshot later once I have a chance to let it sit for a little while.

Reaction score
I have registered at this forum to respond to you. I have the exact same issue on an XPS 13! Despite numerous searches on the internet and several manual registry changes I have yet to come across a fix.

It's not a problem that breaks software or crashes your pc, but that doesn't mean it's at least very annoying.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, hoping someone has more luck than we have.

Ask a Question