Innocent Victim Of Windows 10 Preview

Reaction score
My Windows 8.1 drive. :) I removed my Win 8.1 SSD and put in a new SSD for Win 10. I was running Win 10 until I accidentally disconnected and reconnected power which fubarred Win 10. I pulled the Win 10 drive and reinserted the Win 8.1 drive so I could format the fubarred Win 10 disk. I have not changed or replaced any hardware but now the Win 8.1 install is showing as not activated which means if I decide to use it again I'll have to go through the automated phone routine. Not a big deal though. No idea at all why the install is showing as not activated. When I put the drive back in it went through a lengthy process of installing all the past updates that had been released while I was using Win 10 and they all installed without issues. I don't know what the process will be to upgrade to the final release of Win 10 though so I may have to reactivate my Win 8.1 install in order to upgrade to Win 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure either, but you sometimes see this activation behavior if something has reset or otherwise changed the system time, date, or time zone.
You may check into that and see if any of those settings are off by much.

Reaction score
don't know why but I to have removed hdd and have had the same thing happen. even though the motherboard runs the clock and keeps check of it when power is removed from a hdd I think it screws with the activation timer in the hdd. kind of like a corrupt software file and loses when it was activated. I have also lost my activation from bad power outages before we put all of our desktops on battery back ups. and I could be wrong but it is a thought.

the poorguy

Ask a Question