Phone scam on Elderly victims

Reaction score
Good Day, Is there a way to fix a computer that will block any remote attempt. Elderly victims get calls from the scammer, the scammer will give them a line of crap about their PC being infected and they would be able to fix it. So they let the crook remote to their PC. I know you can turn off "allow remote access to this computer" but the crook and ask them to turn it on. Is there a way to stop the elderly with memory problems from granting remote access to their PC? All help would be appreciated.,

Reaction score
No effective way. But, whatever, do not operate anything on your computer, at their request. Iused to get a lot,mostly from India. In the end I got around my frustration by turning into a game of tease. I would respond with dumb answers like "Which computer would you like me to look at - I have ten" Or, a good one, "This is Microsoft sub office, how can I help you"
Microsoft have tried to tackle the problem, in vain. Their recommendation is to ask them for their name and Microsoft ident (They usually say they are working for Microsoft)

Reaction score
Dave, I do tease them too, I once asked to wait while I booted up and when they asked me what it said on the screen I told them "welcome win windows 98" To all seriousness Why can't I create a user name for this 85 year old and have it as a standard user. That was she couldn't turn on the remote service at there request.?

Reaction score
I'm going to keep one of my Linux machines running against the time of the next call, see if they can work with it. Or I could bring my WinXP computer in from storage shed. Or maybe a Win3.1.

When I pin some of my clients down that have received such a call it usually is from Windows Technical Group or something like Windows Technical Support, never have they said the word Microsoft itself.

Edit: duplicated a word.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My calls always start with "This is Microsoft, Your license has expired or Your sending error reports to Microsoft servers" I laugh when they say " Your COMPOOTER" I say what the heck is a COMPOOTER and then let them explain

Reaction score
Scams are notorious for spelling errors.
Bruce to answer your question, create a guest account for your 85 year old friend and have them log ON as "Guest" that should do it.

Reaction score
Instead of Guest can I set her up as standard user instead of Admin. Would that be the same as a guest account. This way she won't be offended and still have a account in her name but as a standard user. Thanks

Reaction score
Yes! You could set her up as Standard user, as long as she doesn't have the admin password. I believe a standard User can change "Allow Remote Connections of this PC if they have access to the Admin password.

As the administrator just make sure that the "Allow Remote Assistance is unchecked. and the user doesn't have access to the Admin password.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks, I will change her account to a standard user as soon as I set up an password protected Amin Account. I will work with her son so she can have access to here email and face book.
Thanks

Reaction score
Bruce That sounds good to me. Also she won't have the ability to inadvertently change any system properties. That's how I told my Grandkids to set up their PC's. User, for daily PC use and Administrator for maintenance tasks. They like the set up as they have to think twice before making inadvertent system changes. Kids today don't usually ask questions on PC use it "Click" Grandad! ;)

Reaction score
HI Bruce,

what I would do is write down a list of do's and don'ts so when they answer the phone; they can refer to the list if the caller is a stranger!.

Don't give their name, don't give their address or location, don't give any bank details etc, etc.

Ask for the callers name and number, also which company they work for and its address, the name of the boss and their contact details.

I realise that the above may be a bit taxing for an elderly person but the caller may well get frightened by the amount of questions being fired at them.

Most important is not to allow them (the caller) to take the upper hand and control the call!. ;)

Ask a Question