SOLVED 3 beep sound in headphones

Reaction score
Listening to audio book without headphones - no problem. Head phone jack plugged into computer and using headphone while I workout on Elliptical: After a bit I will hear a 3 beep sound - the same sound you hear when unplugging a USB from the computer while it is running. As more time passes the beeps become more frequent until it beeps every 3 to 4 seconds. This spoils listening to the audio book. Any suggestions???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try an alternate USB port.
Try a different interface cable for the connection.

I run into this every so often when charging my mp3 player, if I move it ever so slightly it'll go through the disconnect / connect cycle and produce those same sounds.
I suspect that the interface cable ends are loose and no longer as firm and tight as when they were new, as a result of being plugged and unplugged so often they seem to get a little worn and it doesn't take much jostling to cause the issue to occur

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
TIP:

When this happens to me.....I take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the top and bottom to firm up the USB connection. Of course I make sure to cover the USB connection with a cloth so not to mark/scratch it up.

Reaction score
Since I am moving on the elliptical that could be it. I will give it a try. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe you might test by setting everything up as normal and then remaining perfectly still for a time to see if the problem occurs
Then test by shaking the interface cable to simulate your motion / activity.

Is the audio book sound interrupted during the times you are hearing the connect / disconnect notifications or does the audio book seem to play through.
I assume you're hearing everything through the headphones so it might be difficult to distinguish if that is happening.
It might help further the diagnosis if you temporarily set the sounds for the three potential ones you are hearing to "None" and see if that changes anything.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I squeezed both ends of the headphone cable with a pliers then sat quietly and listened to a chapter for 30 min. It only beeped twice. I also shook both ends of the cable with no affect. The beeps did NOT distort or slow the story. Tomorrow I will test it using the elliptical and look into the sound suggestion. Thanks

Reaction score
I had a lot of problems on my computer and smart phone. They are fixed so back to the 3 beep sound. I thought it might be contact between the cable and the elliptical so I set the cable up so it didn't touch the elliptical or the computer except where it plugs in. Still the same problem. Maybe it is the length of the cable - 25'. I will buy a 15' cable next and look into adjusting the sound setting.

Reaction score
I suppose my first thought is Bluetooth Headset might be something you could look at.

You are also saying the beeps do not happen when elliptical is not being used or unless audio books is playing? Nothing in the Event Viewer during this time?

And also to clarify, your headset does not have a USB connector but a normal audio plug?

Trouble may be close with the Connection notification. Those can usually be turned off in the Audio User Interface. You might also check Windows Notifications in Settings to see if Audio Books has any options available.

If the headset has a microphone, it may be Cortana is being activated by certain sounds.

Since you haven't responded in a week, maybe it is fixed or you are waiting for a new cable?

Reaction score
I am slow to fix and reply. I found a way around the problem. I buy an audiobook and download it into my computer. In the past I would listen to it thru the computer. I still download into the computer but I thought, can I use my S8 cell phone. Bingo. I use the cable from my Walkman and run it from the headphone to the cell phone. I have the audiobook app and it allows me to listen to the audiobook. No more beeps. Case closed.

Ask a Question