I am also a victim of win10

Reaction score
posting today because I sometimes have questions, and this forum is very difficult to move around in. i'll check later to see if I can find this thread again. most of the time, I can't. i'd like for someone to answer...just say anything...so I can confirm I found it. thanks. figuring out problems with win10 for me will begin with figuring out how to use the forum.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
If you go to the top of the site (after being logged in) and hoover over your user name, then click your content...you can find all your post. Or go to your profile page and then click postings.

Reaction score
If you go to the top of the site (after being logged in) and hoover over your user name, then click your content...you can find all your post. Or go to your profile page and then click postings.
That's incredibly tricky. I could have gone the next year without ever hovering over my user name. Just beginning a new thread is a mystery...I hunted and pecked for 15 minutes trying to figure it out. Not sure what I did to get there. This forum needs its own tutorial...that actually works and is easy to decipher.

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

click on your username and then on "Your Content", it shows all your activity!. :)

user profile.PNG

Reaction score
Hover over your username, top right. That is your name in the top blue band.
In the drop down which appears, go down to "Your content", and click. This will allow you to see all of your postings.

Starting a new thread.
First, click the site title, and select which section you wish to post in:(Windows support?)

Capture.PNG

Once in (Windows Support), you will see an item on the top right "Post New Thread"
Give it a title, write what you will and post.
One advice, of benefit to the forum. If your problem is solved, you, and only you, can then mark it as solved.

P.S. In defence of the forum. 90% of forums, today, are based on a common format "XenForo". I have used forums for many years, so perhaps that is in my favour, but, on observation, I find this one as easy to navigate as most. Some have introduced different layouts, which, particularly in one case I have experienced, can be very confusing to navigate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hover over your username, top right. That is your name in the top blue band.
In the drop down which appears, go down to "Your content", and click. This will allow you to see all of your postings.

Starting a new thread.
First, click the site title, and select which section you wish to post in:(Windows support?)

View attachment 7672

Once in (Windows Support), you will see an item on the top right "Post New Thread"
Give it a title, write what you will and post.
One advice, of benefit to the forum. If your problem is solved, you, and only you, can then mark it as solved.

P.S. In defence of the forum. 90% of forums, today, are based on a common format "XenForo". I have used forums for many years, so perhaps that is in my favour, but, on observation, I find this one as easy to navigate as most. Some have introduced different layouts, which, particularly in one case I have experienced, can be very confusing to navigate.
I've been here a few times before, but haven't solved anything yet. Right now I'm in a deferred maintenance loop. I don't get stuff fixed because I have no idea where to begin. The layout of the forum here doesn't help me much...just another problem. I'm trying to keep returning, hoping that some repetition will help me. I appreciate your time. For me, computing is nothing but headaches. If together we ever solve a one of my issues and I can actually find the thread again, I'll mark it as solved. Have never reached that point yet.

Reaction score
Well, as you are having such difficulties, start posting right here. It is the wrong section but I doubt offence will be taken.
But, another attempt!
On the left of the post you have just made, click your name, then your "Profile page"

This will allow you to see all the postings you have made so far.
I can see you have posted in a couple of different sections before, with quite lucidly explained problems. Difficult to understand why it has suddenly become problematic to navigate/post??

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you bookmark the address to your thread, that address will always bring you back to your thread.

Reaction score
Well, as you are having such difficulties, start posting right here. It is the wrong section but I doubt offence will be taken.
But, another attempt!
On the left of the post you have just made, click your name, then your "Profile page"

This will allow you to see all the postings you have made so far.
I can see you have posted in a couple of different sections before, with quite lucidly explained problems. Difficult to understand why it has suddenly become problematic to navigate/post??
It's always been difficult to navigate. I was desperate for answers, so I kept trying, but I never knew what I was doing. And the last question I posed, in April, received no response. I decided my question was too dumb to answer, so no one responded. I still don't know the answer, though. None of this is particularly sudden...it's just a slow snowballing of many problems. I won't know I have a problem until I try something that doesn't work. This time on the forum I'm trying to ask more questions about how the place works...it's no good getting answers if I can no longer find the question - or the answers.

Reaction score
If you bookmark the address to your thread, that address will always bring you back to your thread.
I'll look at that, Clifford. Probably been 8-10 years since I bookmarked anything. Bookmarks always go away when I took the computer to the shop, and I was taking it to the shop every year or two. On this computer I haven't even looked at bookmarking anything.

Reaction score
Interesting. I can guarantee you I've never bookmarked a thing on this pc in the two years I've owned it, but there's all sorts of stuff in there. If I knew how to write Microsoft, I'd tell them to quit it. That's creepy.

Reaction score
"...it's no good getting answers if I can no longer find the question - or the answers."

I have just explained to you how to find your questions??

Reaction score
"...it's no good getting answers if I can no longer find the question - or the answers."

I have just explained to you how to find your questions??
Yes, Dave. I still don't know how to move files from Windows Media Player to a flash drive, or how to move files from a flash drive to Windows Media Player. Seems like whenever I try a solution, Win10 will let me do it a few times and then take that solution away. I don't know if it's a Win10 issue or something goofy in my brand of computer or whether my computer is broken. I don't know if the flash drive is corrupt. I don't know where to begin to solve the issue. I do know the external drive is kaput, though I don't know why it is bad. Probably 25000 songs lost. That is why I was here in April.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Youtube is excellent resource....you can find a video on just about anything. Some good and some not so good.

Reaction score
Youtube is excellent resource....you can find a video on just about anything. Some good and some not so good.

I probably watched an hour's worth of youtube videos last night, trying to make sense of file transfer. I have no idea if any of the videos pertained to my questions and whether Win10 has changed any basic movements.

When I attempt a file transfer project, Win10 usually lets me make the first two or three movements. Then it seems to wise up and change the rules on me. Even sometimes seems to make some files unreadable. Very odd. I'm afraid to put the thumb drive with my files in the computer...I don't want the computer to attack my files.

Reaction score

I did a stupid thing a few weeks ago...I changed the password on an gmail account. My wife and I have five devices, so as soon as the password was changed, we couldn't read or access gmail on four of them. Anyway, the other day my wife's 8.1 computer and her I-Phone "fixed" themselves. Haven't seen a video that explains the problem. The issue kind of didn't affect my Win10desk top...I haven't been able to figure out how to run Hotmail and gmail. Win10 makes me choose one and live with it. I chalk this off to Microsoft thinking it knows better than I do what I want. On an older Win7 computer I can access either Hotmail or gmail with ease. Win10...meh. Not so much.

Reaction score
I haven't been able to figure out how to run Hotmail and gmail. Win10 makes me choose one and live with it.
Both of those are primarily Webmail accounts so I just go to one and create the Bookmark/Favorite in my browsers then go to each of the others and do the same, actually have links to Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, Gmail.com and my Domain's E-Mail service on my main computer's browsers and a couple of Notebooks. I also put them in the Toolbar of the browsers. I do have an E-Mail Client installed and that can be problematic in setting up using Webmail instead of POP mail as provided by most ISPs, some Clients are harder to set up but I will give Microsoft's Outlook credit in being easier than it was some years ago. Some E-Mail Clients will have other choices such as IMAP and HTTP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Both of those are primarily Webmail accounts so I just go to one and create the Bookmark/Favorite in my browsers then go to each of the others and do the same, actually have links to Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, Gmail.com and my Domain's E-Mail service on my main computer's browsers and a couple of Notebooks. I also put them in the Toolbar of the browsers. I do have an E-Mail Client installed and that can be problematic in setting up using Webmail instead of POP mail as provided by most ISPs, some Clients are harder to set up but I will give Microsoft's Outlook credit in being easier than it was some years ago. Some E-Mail Clients will have other choices such as IMAP and HTTP.
Okay. I don't know how to mark gmail and Hotmail as favorites and I don't know how to make them show on the Edge toolbar. The Edge email icon is on the Edge toolbar...I'm guessing it defaults to Hotmail. I can see the gmail account too once I open the icon, but there is never anything in it. I can't use it to send, receive, view contacts...nothing. It's a black hole. But both accounts are just fine on my Win7 computer. Win7 is a piece of cake...comparatively.

Not sure what Microsoft is doing with the 'Focused/Other' email stuff...I arrive at my Hotmail account on the Win10 computer through the 'Other' portal. I don't know the difference between email client and POP mail. IMAP and HTTP...I don't know about them either. Those are all foreign to me. Once I know how to mark these email addresses as favorites, I'll need to know which email to do first. Note: I don't experiment on the computer...I'm not interested in losing settings that are important to me. Messing with the computer tends to equate with losing stuff I'd like to keep. The last thing I ever want is for Microsoft/Win10/whoever to change the way my computer looks or acts. Sends me immediately into the hot sweats.

Ask a Question