Is Microsoft blocking Mozilla Firefox?

Reaction score
:( In my never ending battle to install and get to run, Mozilla Firefox, I am seriously wondering as to whether Microsoft is Blocking Firefox from running.
just reinstalled Firefox, latest version V77, and received a message stating "Incompatible. Old version. Find more combatable version".

I can get Firefox to run in Safe Mode with Internet. As soon as running in normal/standard mode. Will not open Web pages etc.

I am running Windows 10 pro, version 2004.

Reaction score
I am running W10 2004 19041.329 on a new machine and Firefox V77 64bit installed and runs fine. Could it be you have a 64/32 bit problem? Unlikely but still worth the 10 seconds it takes to check.

Reaction score
Open FF and then go to "Help > About Firefox", it should auto update!. :)

Reaction score
Opened FF this morning went to my photography forum got flipping adverts other than that no problems.

Reaction score
I have not had any errors with Firefox on my Windows 10 version 2004.
Have you checked whether the bit version of your device and Firefox are on the same page?
The bit version of the app may be causing an issue.

Reaction score
Great browser! I've been running Firefox for years, never experienced any problems. FF just updated a couple of days back, I'm currently running V 78.0.1 (64bit)

Reaction score
problem is I am on a 64bt windows,v 2004.

Therefore, I download the Firefox 64 bt version.

I can get it working in safe Mode with Internet, but not in normal mode. :oops:

Reaction score
problem is I am on a 64bt windows,v 2004.

Therefore, I download the Firefox 64 bt version.

I can get it working in safe Mode with Internet, but not in normal mode. :oops:
It shouldn't be a problem, I use the 64-bit Firefox on several 64-bit Win10 computers and a couple three Linux Mint 64-bit [replying using my Mint Desktop now]. I'm not much into Edge [old or new] just yet but have seen an issue with Internet Explorer and streaming from our church which doesn't exist with the new Edge or Firefox.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, JustinC. Unfortunately, my friend I have tried your suggestions amongst many others for getting on for 2 years approx, now. To no avail, i have to say. Firefox never gets back to me.
Please let me clarify exactly what the problem is.
If I go into Safe Mode with Internet connection, I can get the blessed thing to work ok.
However, as soon as I restart the computer and out of Safe Mode, into normal use mode, it will not allow me to bring up any web pages, not even a start page which i have set to Google.UK.
At one time I could not even get the silly thing to open Firefox at all.
I have used Firefox for more years than I can remember, not long after it's conception. Never had a problem back in the good old days when you set the browser up with all your add-ons and it never once faltered. Approx 2 years ago is when I started getting all of this clap-trap, and I put it down to Mozilla's interference in ruining a very good browser.

I have other browsers, Edge,Vivaldi and Opera, all working fine. No problems there. I despair completely on the whole business with Firefox.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Approx 2 years ago is when I started getting all of this clap-trap, and I put it down to Mozilla's interference in ruining a very good browser.
You say this has been going on for almost 2 years. Wow!

It's more likely a firewall issue or possibly a corrupt/missing system file structure. Check windows firewall to make sure it's not being blocked. Then run "sfc /scannow" with out the quotes in a admin cmd window or admin power shell window. Let it do it's thing and see what it finds and fixes. Then use Ccleaner to clean any junk/temp files that may be lurking about that might possibly be interfering. Then run Malwarbytes to see if any bugs are hidden....which could cause this type of issue. Both are free.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, JustinC. Unfortunately, my friend I have tried your suggestions amongst many others for getting on for 2 years approx, now. To no avail, i have to say. Firefox never gets back to me.
Please let me clarify exactly what the problem is.
If I go into Safe Mode with Internet connection, I can get the blessed thing to work ok.
However, as soon as I restart the computer and out of Safe Mode, into normal use mode, it will not allow me to bring up any web pages, not even a start page which i have set to Google.UK.
At one time I could not even get the silly thing to open Firefox at all.
I have used Firefox for more years than I can remember, not long after it's conception. Never had a problem back in the good old days when you set the browser up with all your add-ons and it never once faltered. Approx 2 years ago is when I started getting all of this clap-trap, and I put it down to Mozilla's interference in ruining a very good browser.

I have other browsers, Edge,Vivaldi and Opera, all working fine. No problems there. I despair completely on the whole business with Firefox.
After re-reading this some a thought came to my feeble mind, is it possible Mozilla's Firefox was originally installed or reinstalled while Windows was in Safe Mode and that's the only way Mozilla's Firefox knows how to run?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After re-reading this some a thought came to my feeble mind, is it possible Mozilla's Firefox was originally installed or reinstalled while Windows was in Safe Mode and that's the only way Mozilla's Firefox knows how to run?
Very good point.

Reaction score
You can also download a new clean version of FireFox then uninstall the old FireFox and then open (press the windows symbol key + r) and type regedit and go to > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox and look for any FireFox entries and delete them (right click > delete).

Once done, restart your computer and install the new version. (Link is for US English, change language if you want a different package).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ :)

BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE OTHER MOZILLA PRODUCTS LIKE THUNDERBIRD INSTALLED!. ;)

1594567205244.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Performed sfc / scannow as admin, result; no integrity violations.
Anti virus kaspersky, set in kaspersky as allow/trusted.
same with Malwaresbytes and Hitman pro alert.

Reaction score
I have run full scans on my computer with 3 major antivirus systems with no problems from any of them. All came up CLEAR.

Namely; kaspersky Internet security v 20.0.14, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro Alert.
Scannow came up clear.
Wolfie: done as instructed. No change in anything.

Current Situation;
Nothing works. Most of the things discussed here, one way or another have now been tried over a 2 year period, to no avail.

I can only hope that Mozilla setup has the good manners to assist me, or even reply to my predicament as surely they could block/cleanup up this mess from their end by resetting my account etc.

Present situation stands, Firefox browser starts up with a blank black screen where the main Google page should be, together with no access therefore to accessing the Internet. In other words,totally useless setup.
Many thanks to all you guys for your patience and consideration. very much appreciated this end.

Conclusion; remove this junk and use existing browsers that work faultlessly.

Ask a Question