SOLVED Microsoft Account set as Administrator but not allow deletion of program.

Reaction score
I have some programs and files that I require to delete from my computer system. At each try, notified that I am not the Administrator of my account, though my Profile says that I am, yet deletion of the program is promptly refused. I have been made aware, that no procedure is available to carry this out. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

do you have more than one account on the computer and what is their admin status?. :)

Reaction score
Run the attached program. It lowers the security of individual programs and then allows you access. I have attached the install (agree to the two queries) and an uninstall.
Afetr you have run the program, right clip where you need to delete and all should be OK.

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership to Context menu.reg
    824 bytes · Views: 155
  • Remove Take Ownership from Context Menu (Default).reg
    578 bytes · Views: 165
Reaction score
My account is set Microsoft only. Showing me as Administrator.
Dave, does this mean installing above software and retain for any other use, as I have come across several time's in the past. Thank you.

Reaction score
Well tried the above software and now appear to have problems as most software in Windows settings have now reset. Actually both software show unsafe to install. What happens now?

Reaction score
Well tried the above software and now appear to have problems as most software in Windows settings have now reset. Actually both software show unsafe to install. What happens now?
My guess is you have uninstalled, or deleted, some sytem materials. There is nothing unsafe in those reg files, only the way they can be used.

Reaction score
I myself neither installed or deleted any files, before or after above software was tried. True, I find many software installed are over cautious with warnings. Of the two titles which one do I installed for my use?

Reaction score
You state "Well tried the above software and now appear to have problems"

what did you try - I think the titles are self explanatory.? One changes an item in the registry, and enables you to lower the security - only on the program/file selected. The other changes the registry back to default.

I think your lack os knowledge regarding these two utilities makes me suggest you leave both alone. You may well gain rights to programs that are best left alone.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

did you check what version of Win 10 you have?. (See post # 6 above). :)

Reaction score
Wolfie, Version of Windows originates with version Windows 7 preinstalled with computer bought from HP and updated to Windows 10 special offer, so it could be said never bought any version of Windows.

davec, having reached the age of 89 years, I no longer have the ability to grasp in reading and achieving what is meant to be done. Given time, will finally get there. When the time comes and hope that when you reach that age, you will I am sure understand what I have said. I really do now need people like you offering help.

Reaction score
Perfectl understood. By the way I am 86.
My previous post was not meant as an insult, only advice. I should not have offered the utilities. They could ruin your Windows if used incorrectly

Last edited:
Reaction score
ms offers a how to take admin or remove also, which is basically the script.
some were used as Beta Testers and from TechNet
by the way I'm 78 so rather young to you old fellows :cool:
When you add this line it auto runs as admin

(cd /d "%~dp0")&&(NET FILE||(powershell start-process -FilePath '%0' -verb runas)&&(exit /B)) >NUL 2>&1

Admin CMD in Context Menu.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Command Prompt (Admin)"
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas]

1.) Start by pressing Windows Logo Key + X

2.) Select Command Prompt (Admin)

3.) type the following:

net user Administrator /active:yes and press Enter Or Return

To Disable Admin Acct :
net user Administrator /active:no and press Enter Or Return
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas\command]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas\command]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Reaction score
Are you running the latest version of Win 10 Rab? (Currently 2004). :)

Reaction score
Wolfie, yes 2004 was installed on Tuesday as a monthly Windows update, under reference KB4557957. Computer ran rather eradicate for a day or two, now appears to be ok.

Dave, your last post was not taken any other way than advice and was appreciated.

Snuffy, your post must have taken a few moments of your time, so thank you. My profile shows me as Administrative manager, but insists that have not the necessary permission to remove or alter software or is it that I fail to do this correctly. Actually this refusal is an old chestnut with all versions of Windows, with no real solution ever made by Microsoft or most probably I just missed it.

Reaction score
@Reb89 have you tried to boot WinPE move to command prompt and
old fashion DOS commands Delete or Remove the problem. that way.
many time WinPE works where WinRE does not.

Reaction score
Snuffy, worth trying, thank you. This I should know, where on the 'C' drive and under what name is Windows 10 shown?

Reaction score
Snuffy, sorry, what I was asking, was on clicking the 'C' icon, it displays a list of all software stored on it. What is Windows 10 shown as within the listed titles? My C drives shows Program Files - Program Files (x86) - Windows.
Incidentally, reading an article saying that computers having Windows10 64bits installed, no longer required Windows 10 Program Files (x86) installed. If that is the case why is (x86) still retained?

Reaction score
yes, due to many things run in x86, even tho you are x64. Sorry but the article you read is 100% crap.
open your x86 folder and see all that is there...honestly leave it alone.

Ask a Question